Help please, am i gettng raped?

FlannelBoy711

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
Ok well my car died today, and i went to a shop. I got a diagnostic(to find the problem), new battery(one reason why it wasnt starting), new ignition fuse(blew out when they guy helping me put the pos. jumper on the neg., and vice versa) OK, so the guy says I need a new alternator. My car stutters, stops and falls out when im drving, like its not getting any gas. Anybody help? Similar problem? Also they are charging me $607.21 for the alternator, battery, fuse, diagnostic, and labor. Please give me your feedback, thanks

FlannelBoy711 said:
Ok well my car died today, and i went to a shop. I got a diagnostic(to find the problem), new battery(one reason why it wasnt starting), new ignition fuse(blew out when they guy helping me put the pos. jumper on the neg., and vice versa) OK, so the guy says I need a new alternator. My car stutters, stops and falls out when im drving, like its not getting any gas. Anybody help? Similar problem? Also they are charging me $607.21 for the alternator, battery, fuse, diagnostic, and labor. Please give me your feedback, thanks

I would say yes. The alternator itself should be no more than $250 for a new replacement, even less for a reman. Battery no more than $60 unless its an optima whch it's probably not and the fuse maybe $0.99. It really depends on the book labor to replace the alternator. Some are really easy and take a half hour but some could take a few hours and depending on their hourly rate it could add up.

I would at least attempt an alternator job to save money. Usually it's an easy DIY.

AlbNYPR5 said:
I would say yes. The alternator itself should be no more than $250 for a new replacement, even less for a reman. Battery no more than $60 unless its an optima whch it's probably not and the fuse maybe $0.99. It really depends on the book labor to replace the alternator. Some are really easy and take a half hour but some could take a few hours and depending on their hourly rate it could add up.

He said the alternator was 260 plus labor a little over 100
Diagnostic 80 bucks
Battery 50
Labor 110 plus tow truck

Comes out to about average i guess. So is that ok?

Hope they at least gave you a kiss!
FlannelBoy711 said:

OE batteries from a dealer are around $80, and those "Main" fuses cost a tad bit more than the small ones, its either a 100amp or 80 amp fuse cant remember. those usualy run around $5

if the TOTAL cost is $607 and includes the tow, does not sound that far off to me.

Changing an alternator is not that hard of a job, call around to your local parts stores and see how much a remanufactured alternator is, you might be able to save yourself $60 on the alternator and you dont have to pay yourself to put it in.

Most shops will put some labor in diagnosing into the repair.

Take it to Sal's Automotive over off of 39th. Take 39th over I-75, the first left, up on the left hand side. They are honest, and do good work.

Dude, you need to get tow coverage with your insurance, or sign up for the AAA roadside assistance. So worth it.

I have AAA, but they said theyd be there in 45mins, and i was blocking an intersection at shands so the officer there called a tow truck. problem with that is my car is at the shop and i cant take it anywhere

sometimes life only gives ou two choices....to bend to your knees or your ankles....

Man that really sucks. I think AAA will reimburse you, check into that. Otherwise, have AAA tow it somewhere else. They have not towed it yet, so they shouldbe able to tow it. Give these guys a call, and see what they would charge for the repair.
Sal's Automotive
3650 Nw 97th Blvd
Gainesville, FL 32606-5064<script language="javascript"> var version = new String(navigator.appVersion); if(navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer") {if (version.toLowerCase().indexOf("mac") != -1){document.write("
")}} </script> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="Linner" valign="bottom">Phone: </td><td class="Linner" valign="bottom">(352) 332-4338</td></tr></tbody></table>
They are really good. They fixed my GMC Sonoma's brakes after Sears repaired them. They had to troubleshoot something else, and I could swear it went into the labor to repair it.

sometimes life only gives ou two choices....to bend to your knees or your ankles....

bending your ankles dosent really do much, just kinda makes you lean forward before you fall over sorta like this /

Learn to read dipshit.

Strata said:
bending your ankles dosent really do much, just kinda makes you lean forward before you fall over sorta like this /

That price is about right for gainesville esp. you get the college student rate everywhere you go.

sounds right, except the labor on the battry, OUCH. I work at firestone and we charge $12 for that. On one hand the diag sounds right. But once they found it was only the battery they should have reduced it to an electricaly system check and came down some. Its not like the had to whip out the scanner, labscope, and cylinder leakage tester.

Back