help picking modest suspension upgrade

Ok I have been looking around and I think I want the bilstein hd struts, but I can't find anyplace local that carries them, can anyone recommend a reputable online dealer that sells them. I know tirerack has the front ones, but not the rear ones.

Thanks,
Josh

Can anyone tell what is better with stock springs the bilstein hd or the bilstein sport struts

If you are only going to do one, I would suggest you replace the springs if you want better handling. You really should do both at the same time, however, even if it means waiting a little longer to get the money together. The install is pretty time consuming if you do it yourself (not too bad, though I'm not sure I want to do it again soon) or else you will have to pay to have it done twice. I'm not really a practice what I preach kind of guy. I just installed a set of OEM MS3 springs on my 3 and kept the stock dampers, but it definitely makes a difference in the handling. I'm not sure what only changing the struts/shocks with the stock MZ3 springs would do. There are a couple of MS3 owners running their stock MS3 springs with the Koni FSD's, and they were very happy with the setup. Search the MS3 suspension section for more on this.

I also feel that the rear end of the car moves around way too much when driving down the free way. It feels like it is pushed sideways by wind also.

Have you heard any clunking as well? Some of the older 3's and MS3's had a problem with the rear endlinks working their way loose. You might double check that these are tight, just in case. This would definitely loosen up the back quite a bit. There's a post about this way back somewhere.

Have you heard any clunking as well? Some of the older 3's and MS3's had a problem with the rear endlinks working their way loose. You might double check that these are tight, just in case. This would definitely loosen up the back quite a bit. There's a post about this way back somewhere.

Being that my car is an 07 it really isn't that old yet, and it only has 27,000 miles on it. I don't hear any clunking and I have had it looked at by a suspension shop. They said nothing looked wrong, but I will have them look at it when I take it in to get the struts put in. I have decided to go with either the koni fsd or bilstein hd struts, the RB Swaybars with endlinks, and new tires. I am still planning on keeping the stock springs as I can't afford to lower my car since I drive in snow alot during the winter.

Keep us updated. I'm interested to hear how you like that setup.

Well I have another question, I ordered the koni fsd kit (for stock height), but they were on back order through koni till August. I canceled the order and am looking at the koni sport struts. How do you adjust the koni sport struts? All of the details I have found say that they have to be adjusted off of the car. This is kinda holding me back from ordering them.

Also do the regular koni sports (yellow) work with stock springs?

Thanks,
Josh

Last edited:
only the backs have to be taken off the car the fronts can be done on the car. most people adjust the backs where they like them and then adjust the fronts as needed (spirited driving, autox, daily commute etx...)

Ok I am back to the koni sports again, but I want a little bit of info first. Can someone describe the basic range of dampening that the sports provide from soft to hard compared to the stock shocks for the mazda 3. By this I mean how do they compare to the stocks at full soft and full hard. I feel that with the stock struts that the rear of my car bounces around alot on uneven or bumpy roads, with the sports will I be able to adjust it so this is not a problem? At the softest setting are the sports softer than the stock ones?

Last edited:
Ok, I ordered the Koni Sports, hopefully these will get here fairly soon. Please recommend settings for these. I do mostly freeway driving, I don't want the ride too harsh. I like how the stock front struts feel, but the stock rears seem to make the rear of the car bounce around a lot on broken pavement.

Thanks,
Josh

Ok, I ordered the Koni Sports, hopefully these will get here fairly soon. Please recommend settings for these. I do mostly freeway driving, I don't want the ride too harsh. I like how the stock front struts feel, but the stock rears seem to make the rear of the car bounce around a lot on broken pavement.

Thanks,
Josh

On my 2004 Mazda 3 5-door, I have the Koni Sports with Mazdaspeed lowering springs for the Mazda 3 and have my rears set to the softest setting and the fronts about 3/4 turn firmer and they're still firmer than the stock dampers. But not THAT harsh a ride, though!

FYI, I also have Racing Beat sways on the front and back (RB endlinks on front and OEM MS3 endlinks on back) and they are MUCH, MUCH stiffer than stock (232%)!! If you don't plan on autocrossing your 3 then I'd go with something smaller in diameter like the Eibach sways. Stock is 21mm for the front (I believe) and 20mm for the rear. The RB sways are 27mm each! Them things don't flex! VERY much fun on on-ramps(drive) but when pulling onto the street at an angle out of a parking lot I tend to ride on the very outside edges of my tires and lose traction because the sways won't flex (that and the springs are 30% stiffer too!).(hand) Don't care for that when I'm trying to get out in front of oncoming traffic!

Remember that changing the front sway is a B--I--T--C--H!! You have to disconnect almost the entire subframe under the engine to install it. Not a job for those that are mechanically challenged. Some shops charge a few hundred dollars to install it. In another Mazda 3 forum there is a "how to" thread on installing the front and rear sways. Might want to check that out first. Never fear, though the rear sway is easy!

Also remember to change your endlinks when you get stiffer sways. ESPECIALLY if you get the Racing Beat's. Their unwillingness to flex as easy as the stock sways will put a greater load on your endlinks possibly causing your stock ones to break (check out Ally's photo thread of her white 3 hatch).

Hope this helps you out a little! Good luck!

Attachments

• P3220259.JPG
    P3220259.JPG
    839.1 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Thanks for the input NTIMD8R. I do have a set of racing beat sways with endlinks on order, I guess they are on back order a few weeks. How are the stock rear end links holding up for you? I get alot of sway in the back of my car on the free way that is why I chose the rb sways. From my research they seem to be the best matched set available. Can Anyone tell me what holes have to be made bigger to use the rb endlinks. I know that you have to enlarge the holes on the swaybar, but where is the second hole? Is it on the struts? Not sure if I want to put the upgraded endlinks in until I know for sure that I want to keep the sway bars. Can anybody that has stock springs and the racing beat sways give me input as to how stiff they are, in comparison to NTIMD8R's comment about pulling out of parking lots at an angle and riding on the outside of the tires.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input NTIMD8R. I do have a set of racing beat sways with endlinks on order, I guess they are on back order a few weeks. How are the stock rear end links holding up for you? I get alot of sway in the back of my car on the free way that is why I chose the rb sways. From my research they seem to be the best matched set available. Can Anyone tell me what holes have to be made bigger to use the rb endlinks. I know that you have to enlarge the holes on the swaybar, but where is the second hole? Is it on the struts? Not sure if I want to put the upgraded endlinks in until I know for sure that I want to keep the sway bars. Can anybody that has stock springs and the racing beat sways give me input as to how stiff they are, in comparison to NTIMD8R's comment about pulling out of parking lots at an angle and riding on the outside of the tires.

I replaced my OEM standard Mazda 3 endlinks with OEM MAZDASPEED 3 endlinks knowing that the OEM Mazdaspeed 3 sway was thicker in diameter than the standard 3 (but not as thick as the RB sways) hoping that they would do the trick. I wanted a smoother ride than with heim-jointed endlinks like the AWR adjustables. It's been said that the AWR's transfer more road harshness than an OEM type. So far no problems!

Yes, the second hole that you have to enlarge is on the strut. Don't worry though, the RB front endlinks come with the proper size drill bit and alignment tool. Easy!

I would put the new endlinks in when you install the new sways otherwise there's a very good chance that you'll probably break your stock ones. Especially with the Racing Beat sways.

Oh ok, I missed the MS3 end links reference. Where did you buy those from and how much did they cost? Can anyone else that has rb sways and stock rear endlinks tell me if they thing you need the beefier endlinks?

Oh ok, I missed the MS3 end links reference. Where did you buy those from and how much did they cost? Can anyone else that has rb sways and stock rear endlinks tell me if they thing you need the beefier endlinks?

Got them from a guy in the Mazdaspeed Parts For Sale section of this forum. He had bought a wrecked MS3 and was parting it out. Bought them as a pair for $75 including shipping. Ask Ken at Protege Garage for a deal on some used ones. He has access to a ton of salvage yards, etc. He can set you up! MUCH cheaper than buying new. New, I believe is over $100 a piece for the MS3 endlinks compared to around $30 something for standard 3 links.

Check out Ally's cwp hatch thread and look about 1/2 way down on the first page and see what the rear RB sway did to her stock endlinks:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123726093

Look above that, about 1/3 of the way down the page and she has a pic of the RB sway and stock one side by side. You tell me if you need beefier endlinks?!

Last edited:
Can I get some other opinions on the Racing Beat swaybars? Will they be too stiff for just regular driving? I have the koni sports sitting in my room as I am typing this, but the racing beat sways are still back ordered and from what NTIMD8R says they may be too stiff for what I am looking for. If I went with something else what would be the next best set of sway bars for my 3. Would the racing beats make my car handle worse in snow? I drive in snow alot in the winter here. I do have snow tires, but I guess I am just not sure yet.

Can anybody that drives in snow and has racing beat sways please let me know if the racing beat sways have affected handling or traction in snow? How has it affected the grip while cornering in snow?

I really need to know this soon before they are shipped.

So I just got my Koni Sports installed and new tires (Kumho ecsta lx platinums) yesterday. The koni sports are at the stock settings from the factory yet since I haven't really driven her much. Not sure about the sway bars yet, they are still on back order and I haven't gotten any feedback about driving in snow with them.

Will keep you posted as to how the tires and struts are.

i had the progress rsb on my car for a couple years and i drive it in the snow with out an issue. i have studded snow tires as well though. i am going to install the tri point RSB this weekend though :)

So I did some driving today and have some questions about the rear koni sports. I have the stock springs yet and when I am driving around town the rear end makes noise. It is sort of a clunk clunk noise when going over bumps. This noise does not happen on the freeway. I called the shop that installed them and talked to the mechanic and he told me to check the top mounts to make sure they are tight. I am gonna try to look at that tomarrow, but does anyone think this may be caused by the shocks being set too soft? I think I may try to adjust the rear a bit stiffer. How much does a half a turn affect the stiffness in the rear? I have the front set at half a turn stiffer than the softest setting.

Back