Help Needed. ? about Clutch replacement 2008 Speed3

jrsl76

I have a stock 2008 Speed3. I'm around 47,000 miles.

Over the past couple of days, my engine was revving high. It would be at 3000 RPMs and have a burst to 5000 RPMs, then settle down. I thought this could be a fuel system issues, clogged filter or injectors or such. Last night the engine started revving REALLY high and the clutch pushed straight to the floor and wouldn't engage. I towed the car to my dealership and today they've been looking at the car. They say they found no hydraulic issues. The Extended warranty is advising them to pull the Transmission and check it out, but the dealership is telling me that if they don't find anything wrong there, then I'll be on the hook for the $1000 cost to check it (again, as asked for and recommended by the extended warranty). The tech says his feeling is that it is probably the clutch, but is telling me that for the flywheel alone, it is $1200. Does this sound right?

My main issues are that:

1.) I'd be on the hook for the transmission check if that doesn't turn out to be the problem (despite that Mazda EW is telling them that they need to do that).
2.) $1200 for 1 part of maybe 3 or 4 needed & I'd still be on the hook for labor since if it is the clutch they don't cover it.
3.) How the hell is my clutch bad at 47,000 miles. I live in LA, but seriously, that's ridiculous. I tend to go into neutral at lights which to my understanding is much harder on the breaks instead of the clutch.

Any help, advice or knowledge is very appreciated. Thank you.

That's what they're saying. They said 36,000, but online seems to indicate clutch is covered for 12,000?

Last edited:
$1200 flywheel. I'd laugh straight in their face. The thing is 30lbs and dual mass. They can go suck a nut if they think anyone's paying that kind of money for a heavy ass stock flywheel...........which could easily be resurfaced for use with a new clutch.

There's nothing wrong with using a higher performance clutch than stock, but you may need to make sure you're driving the car properly if you've worn the clutch out this soon. Just know that a high performance clutch will engage differently than a stocker.

I don't think I've been overly hard on the clutch, but that said, I will be watching my driving. I've thrown up a bit of a stink about the various things I've been told by the dealership and made some calls to high Yelp rated mechanics regarding this. 3 calls and I have much better information regarding replacing the clutch. Since research on the net, and several mechanics have said it sounds like the clutch is bad, I can't see myself paying $1000 to pull the transmission for investigative purposes. Probably having the car towed to another shop tomorrow, but still waiting to hear some parts prices from both dealership & the other mechanic I'm talking to.

don't replace with stock clutch. Too much $$ and you can get a better setup for a good price.

check out street unit or edge motorsport, JP at edge hooked me up on my ACT setup.

I spoke with Shane at Street Unit and he was very helpful. I'm seriously considering the ACT Stage 1 full clutch + flywheel kit which is like $719. The cheapest I've been quoted thus far is $451 for the stock clutch and if the flywheel has to be replaced, $1087 for that + $525 for labor on it. If the labor stays the same and I get the kit, that's about a $700 savings. Sounds like the way to go to me.

Update: Well, don't know now. The ACT Prolite set has TERRIBLE reviews at Street Unit. Not sure now. Could go for a flywheel with stock. Anyone have opinions here? The Fidanza ones have good reviews, but some on the net seem to indicate that a lightweight Aluminum flywheel on a car like this isn't the best idea. Things like stalling out easier. Not sure now.

Last edited:
Oh and can someone give me a website for Edge? Not sure I'm finding the right one with Google search. Thanks.

Back