HELP! My windshield is cracked!

PlatinumMSP

:
Blazing Yellow 03.5 MSP
Hey guys so I came out to my car this morning and found a nice fat crack in my windshield that stretches about 8-9 inches on my passenger side front windshield. I was wondering what I could do to remedy this problem. Any wrecked protege's with the windshield still in tact? Or is there a way to fix it? Stuff like that. Thanks

PlatinumMSP said:
Hey guys so I came out to my car this morning and found a nice fat crack in my windshield that stretches about 8-9 inches on my passenger side front windshield. I was wondering what I could do to remedy this problem. Any wrecked protege's with the windshield still in tact? Or is there a way to fix it? Stuff like that. Thanks

Never happened to me. But Im pretty sure your insurance takes care of it.

Ya something that large you should just get a new one. Depending on where you live youll either pay nothing or just a normal deductable from your insurance. Not really a big deal. :)

I just happened to find a big crack in mine one day too, and it grew overnight, big time. If it's anything more than a tiny chip, it's not repairable, and a crack 8 inches long needs a replacement. Your insurance will cover it, just have to pay your deductable, and go to any auto glass shop.

my Dad just told me that my deductable is $500, so i dont think i'm going to be fixing this through my insurance...

this happens and has happened often among us MSP owners. some are having theirs replaced under warrenty for FREE, mileage depending though. i had my replaced for FREE by my insurance company...id try the dealership first, i think there is a TSB on this issue.

MSP#735 said:
this happens and has happened often among us MSP owners. some are having theirs replaced under warrenty for FREE, mileage depending though. i had my replaced for FREE by my insurance company...id try the dealership first, i think there is a TSB on this issue.

can you give me a link to the tsb?

khaosman said:
Mine cracked and cost me $200 to fix.

I love Florida laws. We get our replaced for free mandatory by our insurance. I've broken two once on the MP3 and B4 that my old camry. Both times my insurance did it and it was totally free. :)

avarela86 said:
I love Florida laws. We get our replaced for free mandatory by our insurance. I've broken two once on the MP3 and B4 that my old camry. Both times my insurance did it and it was totally free. :)

That is nice! My insurance will patch pits for free but not replace the windshield.

Most auto glass shops in my area (Michigan) will pay your deductible to get your business. They will pay all of, or most of your insurance deductable. Keep in mind that your auto glass policy deductable should be considerably less than your collision deductable.

If your deductable is $500, you may be able to go to a wrecker and find an intact windshield for less and do it yourself, if you know how. I was told by mazda that they would only replace the windshield under warranty for the first 6 months, which is kinda stupid. When I had mine replaced, I was told it was a tiny tiny little chip that caused it to crack, which I highly doubt happened since it started under the molding at the bottom by the wipers and worked its way upward. There were no signs of any rock chips or direct hits to the glass or the molding.

jsahyoun said:
Most auto glass shops in my area (Michigan) will pay your deductible to get your business. They will pay all of, or most of your insurance deductable. Keep in mind that your auto glass policy deductable should be considerably less than your collision deductable.

didn't even know there was a glass deductible. I had mine replaced under warranty years ago. I think all the tsbs are out on theMan's protegefaq's site but it is down at the moment.

i called my insurance company, the gave me the number to their preferred windshield repair person. it was alot cheaper than a windshield repair shop i stopped by at to get a quote. plus they came to my work to replace my windshield, so i didn't even have to take time off work.

It happens, my wife's P5 is about to get it's third windsheild replacement next week. First two were covered by Ventura County as it was stuff falling off their hauling trucks that caused them, this last one a crack just appeared near the lower driver's side edge of the windshield one day, probably from the temperatures going in to the 90s recently rather quickly.
It's only been about $200 each time so it's not too horrible, just annoying.

there should be a recal on the windsheild for the whole protege lineup. this seems to be a common problem fo ryou protege owners. In my lifetime (16 yrs) my houshold has driven

old old beetle for 3 years
1992 dodge sedan of some kind for 5 years
1989 VW Jetta sedan for 6 years
2002 Ford forcus for 3 years,
2004 Ford Mustang for a year

and my 1987 Mazda Rx-7 Turbo II for 6 months (don't know if this is the original windshield but it looks as old as anything else)

Only one very minor non-growing rock chip on the focus and Atlanta has alot of construction. what seems to be the problem with protege windshields?

Back