Help! MP3 wheels on P5, problems!

snowblazin

:
2014 Mazda3 SGT - It's the color of snowflakes!
Ok guys, got a question. I had MP3 wheels on my p5 while it was lowered w/ espelir springs and tokico hp's. They rubbed over bumps but were otherwise ok. I put my car back to stock and now when I put the mp3 wheels on the rear, they hit the strut and don't spin. It looks like the offset is no good. My question is, will spacers do the trick, and if so, what size do I need? Does anyone know the offset on them? I put my Work wheels back on for the time being and they work just fine (+50mm offset). Help!!!

I've got MP3 rims on my P5 but my suspension is still stock.

With 215/45/17 Falkens, the tire sits pretty damn close to both the strut housing and the spring perch. I can't even get a finger between the tire and strut in either of those spots.

If you're rubbing on the strut housing (inside sidewall rubbing, not top of tire) then you probably have too much negative camber. Maybe an alignment shop would be able to help you out. Have you aligned the car since putting the suspension back to stock? I ask because you probably aligned the car to compensate for the lowering but now that it's stock again, the alignment is wrong again.

For spacers, I've heard 5mm is the max without causing major stress and eventually premature failure of the wheel bearings. The MP3 wheels have a +55mm offset so with a 5mm it would essentially give you a +50mm which is high enough to keep you from rubbing on the fender.

Last edited:
No, I haven't gotten it realigned yet. I was planning on doing that today so I'll try that. Also, I have snow tires on them, so the tire itself is pretty massive, and yes, it's the sidewall that's hitting the strut housing causing the wheel not to spin while it was up on jackstands. I didn't want to get the alignment done until I had the mp3 wheels back on but it seems it may be better the other way. Thanks for the quick response!

no worries. I'm sure it's the alignment and/or the snow tires but I'm sure the alignment shop will be able to tell you.

Back