Help Me Decide: CX-5 vs. CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the same boat. When traffic is bad or at the end of a long day, let the car do the work. I'm not going to enjoy it. I just want to get somewhere.

Let me choose when I want to engage.

I used to say that I didn't want an automatic...now two of my three cars have it. Much less work in traffic. Wasn't much for cruise control and now radar cruise has me won over in stop-start traffic.

Give me an open road, then the third car I have is very entertaining.

And I totally agree about giving independence to partially sighted / physically impaired folks. A real game changer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From the Japanese clips I have seen, seems there are settings in MZD that can control this functionality. Not to mention on the button pad next to the steering wheel. Disable perhaps (scratch)

Re: Lane Assist. Do not steer for me. A visual cue, I would be ok with. Nothing more.

Autonomous cars: I have yet to see anything that promises it can work in a Cleveland winter. Build that autonomous car. Then talk to me. They test these things in Phoenix. Or Cali. Test them in Detroit. In January.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah Google is seeking volunteers for free self-driving rides around my city. Various makes/models provided.

Yeah Google is seeking volunteers for free self-driving rides around my city. Various makes/models provided.

Well shoot, free ride and keep your mileage down too? I bet they accept all liability in the event of an accident as well. Why the hell not!?

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Well shoot, free ride and keep your mileage down too? I bet they accept all liability in the even of an accident as well. Why the hell not!?

I heard at my work that one was involved in a minor accident...that it was the other "human" party's fault. That said Mazda's gadgets are driver centric in that they help you make decisions drive defensively without completely taking over or let alone snooze you to death.

Well shoot, free ride and keep your mileage down too? I bet they accept all liability in the event of an accident as well. Why the hell not!?

here is one reason. I'm not sure if that info is up to date.. but 25MPH isn't very fast.
cumYNy5.png

Regarding CX5 trims, I've yet to find a clean trim comparison amongst them. Mazda's site has a bullet point list, of everything, and I was able to find a couple of comparisons, again, with everything, but I haven't seen something to the effect of,

Sport
Lists a bunch of features

Touring
Includes all of the sport features
List of features added

Grand Touring
Includes all of the touring features
List of features added

I kind of know what they are but there's some muddling and I've been looking but not finding.

Regarding CX5 trims, I've yet to find a clean trim comparison amongst them. Mazda's site has a bullet point list, of everything, and I was able to find a couple of comparisons, again, with everything, but I haven't seen something to the effect of,

Sport

Touring
List of features added

Grand Touring
List of features added

I kind of know what they are but there's some muddling and I've been looking but not finding.

We are lucky. We can compare different Mazda models or in this case, different grades of the CX-5:

https://www.mazda.com.au/compare/?cars=Mazda%20CX-5,Mazda%20CX-5

Well if it helps. Just saw a 2017 CR-V in the store parking lot. Still looked like an ugly CR-V with a wide behind to me. ;)

If you don't mind seeing your car every time you turn around...get a CR-V.
1ae3c11723d5add78e708a517b36ffb6.jpg

Sport

Touring
List of features added

Grand Touring
List of features added

Only thing you need to know that illumination wing is sold as an accessory for $400+.
And no, you can't fight crime at night without it.

That's better than the mazdausa site. The differences aren't that large, I don't need to see that they have the same engine, etc., just what's different.

Anyways, thank you!
No problem!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If you don't mind seeing your car every time you turn around...get a CR-V.
1ae3c11723d5add78e708a517b36ffb6.jpg

I see them in about equal numbers, although admittedly more CR-V's because they have been around longer, but at any redlight, there is sure to be a CX-5 or 3, also. RAV4's are the rarest of the CUV's here, and even they are pretty popular. CR-V and Crosstec and Forester and CX-5 make up the bulk.

I see them in about equal numbers, although admittedly more CR-V's because they have been around longer, but at any redlight, there is sure to be a CX-5 or 3, also. RAV4's are the rarest of the CUV's here, and even they are pretty popular. CR-V and Crosstec and Forester and CX-5 make up the bulk.

Mostly Subarus out here, but second place has to be CR-Vs for sure. I still see more Rogues and RAV4's over CX-5s out here, but I am seeing more and more CX-5's as the years go on.

I rarely see CRV's where I live but the last couple of days I've driven to work next to a CX-5 the same color as mine. There are several in the city where I live as well. I rarely see CRV's and I've been looking, but, the older models are pretty plain to me so maybe I just don't notice them.

FWIW, I compared the Touring with the Grand Touring for my needs. I went to mazdausa.com, highlighted and copied all the items, put them in excel, searched for duplicates and what I came up with is below. It's sorted to my tastes, YMMV, and it makes a pretty compelling case not to get a GT, except, for the fact that I think there is exactly 1 Touring with i-sense, in a color I'd like, within 100 miles of where I live in the Bay Area. Maybe 0, don't remember if it was AWD or FWD.

A couple of the nice to haves are more nice than others but none moved to must-have.

Nice to haves
8-way power driver's seat with power lumbar support
Bose® 10-speaker audio system with Centerpoint2® and AudioPilot2®
Leather-trimmed seats
Mazda Navigation System
SiriusXM Satellite Radio with 4-month trial subscription16

Don't care about
19-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with P225/55 R19 all-season tires
Body-colored heated power side mirrors with integrated turn signals
LED Signature Daytime Running Lights
LED Signature combination taillights
LED fog lights
Power liftgate17
Power sliding-glass moonroof with one-touch-open feature and interior sunshade (this is a don't want)

In the i-sense package (which I would want)
Auto on/off headlights
Auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink®
High Beam Control
Lane Departure Warning19 with Lane Keep Assist20
Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go18
Rain-sensing variable-intermittent windshield wipers
Smart Brake Support21

Was unsure about
Adaptive Front-lighting System

Rankings in my area based on my observations alone:
1 CRV
2 Jeep Cherokee (made in a factory not far away, I think that's why)
3 TIE CX-5 + Rogue
4 TIE RAV4 + Subaru

I know this cannot be the case everywhere or Mazda would have more market share, but they are VERY popular here in Cleveland. I see everything Mazda all the time. Models I've never heard of. Did you know they had a mini van at one time? LOL

(Really never knew much about Mazda beyond... Miata...)

Last edited:
Rankings in my area based on my observations alone:
1 CRV
2 Jeep Cherokee (made in a factory not far away, I think that's why)
3 TIE CX-5 + Rogue
4 TIE RAV4 + Subaru

I know this cannot be the case everywhere or Mazda would have more market share, but they are VERY popular here in Cleveland. I see everything Mazda all the time. Models I've never heard of. Did you know they had a mini van at one time? LOL

(Really never knew much about Mazda beyond... Miata...)

Yep, the Mazda5 right? I see those occasionally.

Out here Subaru Foresters and Outbacks are seen everywhere. And I mean, everywhere. CR-V's below that and then Rogues and RAV4's probably tied for 3rd.

On my daily drive, I maybe see 2-5 other CX-5's. Now my office parking lot, I've found 4 other CX-5's (1 Soul Red GT (2016.5), 1 White Touring, 1 Black Touring, 1 Dark Blue Touring all pre-2016s). Could be sports too maybe, they have 17's. Slightly upset because mine is a black Touring and I never see black CX-5's here. Now I have a doppleganger in my office parking lot, rofl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back