Help me decide between CX-5 and Sportage

id go for a new Tucson over a sportage any day. They actually look really nice.

Interior seems to have too many harsh plastics

Capture.jpg

Interior seems to have too many harsh plastics

Capture.jpg

I test drove one about a month or so ago. Give me a visa gift card to test drive a car? Why the hell not. Interior wasn't too bad actually. Drove nice. Still doesn't compare to cx5. But that panoramic sunroof. Wow. Trunk space is too small though. Overall best looking cuv IMO behind the cx5.

The interior reminds me of 2008 and the car drives like an appliance in comparison to the finely tuned Mazda. Why people buy inferior American and Korean vehicles I will never understand.

KIA Sportage rates pretty highly here in Australia. Constantly ranks highest especially in the mid-spec bracket with emphasis on value, features and quality.

Plus: 7 yr warranty (Aus), sophisticated looks (subjective) ie. Euro style, quality interior and good amount of features for the price.
Minus: Average MPG ratings and drivetrain. Looks. (subjective)

IMO though subjective, the styling is enough to put me off. The CX-5 will handle better and looks much classier and uses better quality interior materials. Also has better safety tech. KIA tries to win over consumers with it's 7 yr warranty. It is arguably better than its sister brand the Hyundai Tucson but gets the lesser spec engine.

Can't really go wrong with either. Just choose the one that you prefer overall.

I test drove one about a month or so ago. Give me a visa gift card to test drive a car? Why the hell not. Interior wasn't too bad actually. Drove nice. Still doesn't compare to cx5. But that panoramic sunroof. Wow. Trunk space is too small though. Overall best looking cuv IMO behind the cx5.

Wouldn't mind Mazda providing panoramic sunroofs especially on their SUVs :)

KIA Sportage rates pretty highly here in Australia. Constantly ranks highest especially in the mid-spec bracket with emphasis on value, features and quality.

Plus: 7 yr warranty (Aus), sophisticated looks (subjective) ie. Euro style, quality interior and good amount of features for the price.
Minus: Average MPG ratings and drivetrain. Looks. (subjective)

IMO though subjective, the styling is enough to put me off. The CX-5 will handle better and looks much classier and uses better quality interior materials. Also has better safety tech. KIA tries to win over consumers with it's 7 yr warranty. It is arguably better than its sister brand the Hyundai Tucson but gets the lesser spec engine.

Can't really go wrong with either. Just choose the one that you prefer overall.

Sorry but Kia's are a pass for me. Too many hard plastics, even on their new Stinger. Also not very cohesive

Sorry but Kia's are a pass for me. Too many hard plastics, even on their new Stinger. Also not very cohesive

I'm not a huge fan of it either especially the exterior styling. Just saying it's meant to be a pretty decent vehicle according to motoring experts. Not my cup of tea. Still think CX-5 has better tech overall.

I'm not a huge fan of it either especially the exterior styling. Just saying it's meant to be a pretty decent vehicle according to motoring experts. Not my cup of tea. Still think CX-5 has better tech overall.

Fair enough :)

Its a Kia....nuff said

To be fair, that's what my friends say about Mazda vs. RAV4, Forester, etc. Kia has come a long ways. That said, I would still prefer the CX5 to the Sportage. I just don't feel "it's a Kia" means anything when you consider Mazda, Toyota/Lexus/Hyundai of yesteryear, etc.

To be fair, that's what my friends say about Mazda vs. RAV4, Forester, etc. Kia has come a long ways. That said, I would still prefer the CX5 to the Sportage. I just don't feel "it's a Kia" means anything when you consider Mazda, Toyota/Lexus/Hyundai of yesteryear, etc.

Try their slogan here Power to surprise

As someone who traded in a 2012 Sportage EX, I can tell you theyre pieces of junk! Everything inside the car is hard plastic, I had tons of rattles, road noise, and just overall a cheap car feeling. I traded mine in for a 17 GT. I couldnt that the Sportage any longer!

Also, the resale value of that vehicle is utterly poor. So, if you intend on keeping it for 10 years go for it, otherwise, I would HIGHLY recommend the Mazda!

You come into a Mazda CX-5 group and ask for help to choose between a CX-5 and a Kia? What medication are you on? Why dont you go to a butchery and ask to buy some salad?

The interior reminds me of 2008 and the car drives like an appliance in comparison to the finely tuned Mazda. Why people buy inferior American and Korean vehicles I will never understand.
I don't think you have driven one. It was the first cuv i drove. Solid chassis- good handling and drove better than Subaru. But DCT issues and hard plastic. It was selling 90% better YoY till June. Then DCT issues dragged sales down.

Wouldn't mind Mazda providing panoramic sunroofs especially on their SUVs :)

I actually inquired about why Mazda doesn't offer a pano-roof on their higher trims (as I probably would have went with a GT if it had that) at the dealer when I was deciding between models and brands (that VW Tiguan is a really nice machine, almost bought one). They said that the reason Mazda doesn't offer a pano-roof is because it would negatively impact their rollover safety test score and drop them below Volvo (apparently beating Volvo, specifically with the CX-5, was important to Mazda).

I can see it, it's always been a little unsettling in my Genesis thinking about what would happen in the case of a rollover. But then I'd look out the pano and forget about it. Hahaha.

As others have said, Kia keeps getting better. I don't like the front end of the current Sportage, but otherwise it seems to be a decent car. I like the straightforward interior design, it appeals to my left brain. There's nothing flashy or blingy about it, but everything is well laid out and it just looks logically correct. The material quality also seems pretty decent in the SX. I'm not a fan of the throttle response and turbo lag, that reminds me of my current Subaru.

I actually inquired about why Mazda doesn't offer a pano-roof on their higher trims (as I probably would have went with a GT if it had that) at the dealer when I was deciding between models and brands (that VW Tiguan is a really nice machine, almost bought one). They said that the reason Mazda doesn't offer a pano-roof is because it would negatively impact their rollover safety test score and drop them below Volvo (apparently beating Volvo, specifically with the CX-5, was important to Mazda).

I can see it, it's always been a little unsettling in my Genesis thinking about what would happen in the case of a rollover. But then I'd look out the pano and forget about it. Hahaha.
Good to know :)

As others have said, Kia keeps getting better. I don't like the front end of the current Sportage, but otherwise it seems to be a decent car. I like the straightforward interior design, it appeals to my left brain. There's nothing flashy or blingy about it, but everything is well laid out and it just looks logically correct. The material quality also seems pretty decent in the SX. I'm not a fan of the throttle response and turbo lag, that reminds me of my current Subaru.
Sounds very much like an appliance

Latest posts

Back