HELP! Mass Air Flow Sensor Wett!!!

Well from my off roading 4x4 days I will add that there is a certain speed to crossing water. You have to make a bow wake in front of your truck which creates a lower water level pocket in the engine compartment. Of course this is with your truck submerged in water to its headlights. Do it with your Mazda and pay the price.

I had the same problem when i first got my Injen intake. It rained really hard the night before and on my way to work i experienced the same thing. Water was dripping on the filter. I took the intake off to check for water sitting at the bottom of the tube and there was a good amount. So i dried everything off and reinstalled it. I fixed the problem with injen hydroshield and i have not had a problem since.

I had the same problem when i first got my Injen intake. It rained really hard the night before and on my way to work i experienced the same thing. Water was dripping on the filter. I took the intake off to check for water sitting at the bottom of the tube and there was a good amount. So i dried everything off and reinstalled it. I fixed the problem with injen hydroshield and i have not had a problem since.

INteresting....I did a search on this forum for "hydroshield" and there is much negative talk about it. I just purchased the hydroshield but have not put it on....I am gonna put it on now....

THanks, I just needed some confirmation....

BTW, do you have a speed 3 as well? I noticed that the injen CAI goes down and then up at the tip of the filter, causing water to just sit there like you said....

Did you have to remove the bumper to put the hydroshield on?

INteresting....I did a search on this forum for "hydroshield" and there is much negative talk about it. I just purchased the hydroshield but have not put it on....I am gonna put it on now....

Actually the Injen CAI for the RSX Type-S with the hydroshield was what I had when my water sucking incident occurred. It still let in enough water to enter the cylinders, but luckily not enough to snap a rod. I'd like to think the hydroshield helped prevent enough water from actually blowing up the motor, but I'm sure if you're reckless and hit enough water, you can still hydrolock with the shield.

Would I recommend one? Only if you don't have any water protection (i.e. splash guard or AEM's little valve).

THanks, I just needed some confirmation....

BTW, do you have a speed 3 as well? I noticed that the injen CAI goes down and then up at the tip of the filter, causing water to just sit there like you said....

Did you have to remove the bumper to put the hydroshield on?

Yes I have a speed3. To put the hydroshield on I just turned the wheel as far as it would go to the right. I then took out the plastic screws in the wheel well and i think there is three under the bumper i took off. you can then pull the wheel well back and put the hydroshield on. i also do this to change the filter.
I also put a strip of weather striping where water was dripping down on the filter. After it rains and you have the shield on you can see where the water is coming from. I am in Maryland and it will rain pretty good every once in a while and i have not had a problem since.

s*** I take off my CAI and drive with nothing...lmao Car runs like a beast...

If you're reffering to running it without piping or a filter thats really dumb...Sucking in just some very small rocks can severely hurt your engine even dust...

I saw a mention of AEM's water valve. That is not for forced induction cars just so you don't go and get one.

I run mine with my fiance's pantyhose rubber-banded to the tip of the intake pipe since pantyhose are known to have excellent flow properties.

(lol2)

How much do the "water socks" inhibit airflow? You know, the covers for the airfilters that are supposed to prevent massive water suckage. Has anybody seen anything on that?

How much do the "water socks" inhibit airflow? You know, the covers for the airfilters that are supposed to prevent massive water suckage. Has anybody seen anything on that?

Haven't seen any physical tests. I would be surprised if you experienced any more than a 1-2hp loss max due to a very slight flow restriction. The only test I ever did with mine was put it up to my mouth and breathed through it. I couldn't tell the difference. Don't know how much the car would either.

I'd say the flow restriction of using the "water sock" on a new air filter would be about equivalent to the use of an un-socked air filter thats been run for about 1000 or so miles (enough mileage to catch some particles inbetween the fins of the filter). Then you could always pose the arguement that the sock would block larger particles from getting caught inbetween all those fins, thus keeping your actual air filter cleaner longer. The sock is a breeze to clean. And when you run it under water...you'll see that it pretty much runs right thru the material, confirming what the product is: water resistant, not water proof.

If you're going to drag race and need every pony, just pull the sock off when it comes time. Its even got elastic around the lip, just like real socks!!

Latest posts

Back