[Help] Looking to Paint emblems black

Darkhorse

So i'm thinking about painting the emblems on the car black... What products should i get. I'm looking to do the M in the front and the back and the "mazdaspeed 3" emblem as well. Do i need to sand them down a little? Can someone process the steps in how to do it in a fairly easy manner? pics would be great if anyone has them. oh, and what did you guys use to stick it back on to the car?

Yes, sanding would be a good way to start. Also, instead of just pealing them off and putting them back on after painting, you may want to just buy some extra emblems and painting those.

Last edited:
So i'm thinking about painting the emblems on the car black... What products should i get. I'm looking to do the M in the front and the back and the "mazdaspeed 3" emblem as well. Do i need to sand them down a little? Can someone process the steps in how to do it in a fairly easy manner? pics would be great if anyone has them. oh, and what did you guys use to stick it back on to the car?

i'm going to tell you the easiest way man...

go to auto zone and buy:
duplicolor adhesive promotor
duplicolor semi-gloss black (if you want a flat/satin look)

take a scotchbrite pad and scuff them up well, then wash them with soap and water. follow the directions on the back of the can. use about 2 light coats of promoter and then about 3 light coats of paint. if you want it to look really good, you can buy a tack cloth from auto zone also and gently wipe off debris between coats. stick the emblems back on with the original adhesive.

my emblems have been painted for about 8k miles and have no chips, scratches, fading of any kind.

let me know if you have anymore questions. good luck!

go to auto zone and buy:

take a green scotchbrite pad (you can get this at target or anywhere) and scuff them up well, then wash them with soap and water. follow the directions on the back of the can. use about 2 light coats of promoter and then about 3 light coats of paint. if you want it to look really good, you can buy a tack cloth from auto zone also and gently wipe off debris between coats. stick the emblems back on with the original adhesive.

my emblems have been painted for about 8k miles and have no chips, scratches, fading of any kind.

I used a pure bleach bath to eat away all of the chrome ish covering,
Then an ammonia bath to eat away all of the left over black residue.
then sanded them down
And painted them with Krylon Fusion Satin black paint
Mine look amazing.

go to auto zone and buy:

take a green scotchbrite pad (you can get this at target or anywhere) and scuff them up well, then wash them with soap and water. follow the directions on the back of the can. use about 2 light coats of promoter and then about 3 light coats of paint. if you want it to look really good, you can buy a tack cloth from auto zone also and gently wipe off debris between coats. stick the emblems back on with the original adhesive.

how did you use the original adhesive? i imagine that some out be messed up in the removal process and all that stuff? knowing me ill get it stuck to something else lol.

HOT TIP! Soak the emblems in bleach. Bleach will get that chroming off and you will be able to paint without orange peel or chipping. Should soak for a day or two.

how did you use the original adhesive? i imagine that some out be messed up in the removal process and all that stuff? knowing me ill get it stuck to something else lol.

well... the front m is held on by clips as well, the adhesive is just a back up. i was worried about the rear M because i cleaned a little of the adhesive off as well but it hasn't budged one bit. if you want to be extra perfect, you can of course bleach the emblems and you'll be left with a perfect plastic starting point. this isn't necessary at all IMO. i've painted a bunch of chrome covered plastic parts this same way and they always come out awesome.

if you feel uncomfortable about reusing the original 3m tape, you can buy oem emblems for about 20 bucks each i think. all of this though, IMO is a waste of time and effort.

Did mine last night. All I did was lightly scuff with 300-ish grit sandpaper, clean with toxic glass cleaner ;) and then sprayed two light coats with duplicolor semi-gloss black engine enamel.

Only problem is I used the THICK double side tape and you can see it at extreme angles.... I'll get around to re-doing it later.

I also finished nightshading my taillights. Enjoy some pics!!

DSCN1692.jpg

DSCN1693.jpg

DSCN1697.jpg

DSCN1694.jpg

DSCN1695.jpg

looks great man. yeah, i painted my mazdaspeed emblem also and i'm going to put it back on but the 3m tape i bought sticks out quite a bit... i wonder where i can get some thinner tape. i want to buy the axela emblem too and paint it. :)

darkhorse: do it man, it's very simple. if you mess up, no big deal.

looks greattt. why am i such a pansy to do this LOL!?

Personally, I was being a pansy because people were talking about letting it soak in chemicals for days at a time.... as long as you are using engine enamel paint: scuff, clean, and shoot!!

Give it a try, you won't be disappointed. btw, semi-gloss black ftw! (rockon)

in those pics it almost looks like you've poweder coated the exhaust tip black too....but we all know whats happened.

apparently you've given up on cleaning it too

I used a pure bleach bath to eat away all of the chrome ish covering,
Then an ammonia bath to eat away all of the left over black residue.
then sanded them down
And painted them with Krylon Fusion Satin black paint
Mine look amazing.

That's exactly what I did too...

^^ I scrub and scrub and scrub... and then no less than 2 days after a wash and wax my tip looks like that again..... yes, I've given up!!

Wait, what exhaust tip??(help)Oh no, it must be a sleeper ;)

lol yeah im looking to def do it, especially on my silver car. should look vicious. i guess ill go pick it up sometime soon and start trying it. thanks guys for all the input.

^no prob man. i have a sunlight silver and it definitely looks better, no question about it. good luck!

i just sanded mine and used a product called plasti-dip that i picked up at lowes. its gave it a nice flat black look and makes a hardcoat. havent had a chip or peel yet.

i didn't use any bleach. i also just did this about two weeks ago.
i sanded the emblems a lot with 100 grit and 220 grit sand paper.
then prime
then paint
then clearcoat

i don't think the clearcoat is necessary, but it will prevent chips and s*** on the black paint.

i used some cheap black primer, but most primers will work. i used satin black rustoleum and a semi gloss clear coat

Ok, this is something I am getting ready to do as well. How about getting the emblems off? Any tricks. I know the rear emblem on the Speed3 (2008) has some pins, does the Mazdaspeed emblem have pins as well. How do these come off, and to they just pop back on.

I have a black 2008 Mazdaspeed3. Torn between painting the emblems black or red. I saw someone that had a black Mazda 6, with red emblems, really looked good.

Back