help! just installed progress springs + tokico illuminas and i have a horrible rattle

The facts:
-Shocks and springs were used, from some guy with a regular protege. I double checked the part number stamped on the shocks is the same as the ones sold by speedcircuit and crossover.
-I almost certainly way overtightened the top mount/piston rod end nut. looked at the torque specs for the blues(rolleyes)
-I was surprised to find that even though all the proteges supposedly use the same upper spring seat, the end of the spring did not line up with the "step" in the rubber of the upper seat.

The noise is coming from the top of the strut, inside the car. the "washer" is not tight against the "mounting rubber" despite the fact that, as I said, the "piston rod nut" is probably, if anything, on too tight.

The end result is that the top of the piston rod, with it's nut and washer, clatter against the top of the "mounting rubber" inside the car.

im using the exact names from this file:

http://www.mazdaspd.com/manual_files/02-14.pdf

I'd appreciate any or ideas you guys have to offer.

sounds like something got out of place during the installation, take a pic if you could your explaination kind of lost me

Back