Help - hesitation/bucking in higher gears

Guys, this has been a known probably with the MS6. I've owned mine since Oct 2006 bought brand new and for years have watched thread after thread get started on this issue. Mazda has no idea what the problem is, nor does anyone. I'd say 50% of MS6 owners have this problem. I've had a new motor and turbo installed and still have the problem. It happens under heavy load (WOT, low RPM) and the knock sensor I believe retards the engine. If you look in your rear view as the knocking/pinging comes from the engine bay you'll notice a little black smoke got poofed from your tail pipes.

If anyone finds a bonified solution to this problem MS6 owners, including myself, would pay big dollars for this.

if you have checked all your lines vaccuum and intake and make sure everything is airtight, its either your spark plugs, or your stock OEM bpv is leaking boost. got my intake and inlet, it went away. 6k later it was back, so i got a BOV, it went away, now 5k later, its back. so im gettin Denso Sparkplugs. it also happens like you said "wot/low rpm", so dont go WOT at low rpm untill you get some tuning. i wouldn't do that in any turbo car. this car happens to have almost no boost lag from the tiny ss k04, so just drop a gear and go. thats what would happen if it came in automatic in those same situations.

Well ever since they did they TSB for fuel pressure switch it happened to me once the same day I picked it up. But I have been trying to replicate the problem and have not been able too. Maybe it's fixed. I do notice slight jerking or hesitation when accelerating but I think it's what everyone experiences not like the car bucking real bad like it used too.

I'm still experiencing the issue with more acceleration at 1/2 throttle in gears 3-6. Is this what you guys are referring too that everyone has this issue?

By the way I never go WOT at low rpms but go about 1/2 throttle when needed.

mine does it too, stock, and modded, at the same time, 4th 5th or 6th when its running under 2500k and you step on the pedal hard it hesitates until you regulate throttle, i think its the computer stopping large quantities of fuel from entering the cylinders befor proper turbo charging boost and airflow is acheived, itll kind of just spin in place until rpms and boost are up. i would assume that an automatic engine would downshift at that point, so i usually just clutch and reclutch with a rev and it solves having to downshift back to 4th while going 60mph which could be semi violent.

I know this really hasn't got much to do with this thread, but I don't suggest anyone "step on the pedal hard" at low rpms (2.5k in this situation) in those gears as it can cause boost spikes. Make sure you work the throttle up as you accelerate.

A couple questions to follow-up on this thread:

Those of you who had the reflash and fuel rail replaced, how are your MS6's performing now that it's been a few months?

How worried should I be about the integrity of my engine if I've had the knock/bucking/black-smoke-from-tailpipes issue happen a handful of times? In other words, what damage does knocking cause and how do you go about checking for it?

Last edited:
Guys, this has been a known probably with the MS6. I've owned mine since Oct 2006 bought brand new and for years have watched thread after thread get started on this issue. Mazda has no idea what the problem is, nor does anyone. I'd say 50% of MS6 owners have this problem. I've had a new motor and turbo installed and still have the problem. It happens under heavy load (WOT, low RPM) and the knock sensor I believe retards the engine. If you look in your rear view as the knocking/pinging comes from the engine bay you'll notice a little black smoke got poofed from your tail pipes.

If anyone finds a bonified solution to this problem MS6 owners, including myself, would pay big dollars for this.

Exactly how it occurs with my car. I am happy to hear that it is common as I always thought each shutter was one step closer to engine failure, a result which thankfully I haven't seen posted to date.

Used to happen to me.. Does not happen anymore it was when i tried to give it gas in a high gear at low rpm only..

Only problem now for me is the DEAD drop off of power after 5500rpm the car is slow as a geo metro after that

Back