HELP!!! Half shaft removal, stuck nut!

CpettMP5

HELP!!! Half shaft removal,nut off but now a NEW problem

Anyone got any ideas?
I've tried all the tricks I know but I still can't seem to get the center nut to release. I've heated it, hammered it, sprayed it with Liquid Wrench and still no dice. Take a look and help me out. I really have other stuff I'd rather be doing on a Friday night.
392529322_f117941010_o.jpg

392529314_442c6262ca_o.jpg

Last edited:
impact wrench? I know I took mine off with just a long breaker bar, but an impact would probably be less tiring :p

sadly though, I couldn't get the axles pulled out of the wheel hub even with tne nuts off, no matter what hammer I tried :p .. I was just pulling the tranny though so I just pulled the lower control arms and articulated the strut to get the axles out of my way.

Your car looks all rusty/corroded like mine hehe. How did the CV joint break?

Reassemble your brake rotor and calipers on all four corners, have a friend stand on the brakes, and use a breaker bar with a cheater bar that is of necessary length. Be sure to turn the nut counter clockwise.

Furthermore, ensure that you use a new nut upon reassembly.

kcbhiw said:
Reassemble your brake rotor and calipers on all four corners, have a friend stand on the brakes, and use a breaker bar with a cheater bar that is of necessary length. Be sure to turn the nut counter clockwise.

Furthermore, ensure that you use a new nut upon reassembly.

are they torque to yield or something? I reused mine, didn't know you shouldn't (boom03)

*adds that to my longer and longer list of parts I need to order before springtime comes*

Kansei said:
are they torque to yield or something? I reused mine, didn't know you shouldn't (boom03)

*adds that to my longer and longer list of parts I need to order before springtime comes*

Pretty much. They require 174-235 ft-lb to be properly torqued.

I've reused them before, but it's not something I recommend.

my dewalt thats rated 300 LB FT (yes LB FT not IN FT) had a TOUGH time with mine. took about 10 seconds to get. This was after I let the WD40 soak for 15 mins.

ok so if I jump on my breaker bar I should be able to maybe torque them down enough :p damn being only 135lbs, makes workin on this car hard a lot of the time haha. I think my air impact only does 150 ft/lb, I'll have to check on my plug in one.

Kansei said:
ok so if I jump on my breaker bar I should be able to maybe torque them down enough :p damn being only 135lbs, makes workin on this car hard a lot of the time haha. I think my air impact only does 150 ft/lb, I'll have to check on my plug in one.

Leverage is your friend. 135lbs on the end of a 2' breaker bar doesn't equal 135lbs on the nut.

Yup that nut is hard to get out. Can't use any cheap impact wrench your gonna have to have a pretty expensive one or could stick with a thick breaker bar. I broke my 1/2" drive trying totake that out. Have fun (spin)

Last edited:
1. Take a drill and drill the part of the nut that is bent in to prevent it from coming off.

2. Get someone to apply the Brakes.

3. With a power Bar and Socket, apply force to the nut.

Presto...

Impact wrench worked great but know I hit the next problem. The half shaft should just pull out right? Well at least that's what I thought so I pulled and the shaft seperated at the inner boot and then came apart. That leaves me with only the axle end stuck to my car. I can't seem to get it loose. Any ideas about this?
392994187_4e0bea2ba5_o.jpg

392994190_180ddf3f13_o.jpg

kcbhiw said:
Leverage is your friend. 135lbs on the end of a 2' breaker bar doesn't equal 135lbs on the nut.

yeah I know the physics of it but my bar is like 18". if I jump it's definitely enough :p

You have to remove the bolts that support the bearing and pull the entire assembly out of the tranny. Be careful to keep the tranny shaft hole free of particles..

get a big hammer and just knock it off the intermediate shaft... that's what I always do when changing axles... saves time!

Yup, whole thing comes out of the tranny.
it's held into teh differential wit ha little C-clip deal, basically w/ enoug hforce it will "pop" out.
If you can get the room/leverage, best bet is a crowbar right up in where it enters the tranny, and whack that badboy w/ a mallet.
Profanity is probbaly required too.
Although, I'm betting thus far you're close to the profanity quota already (beer)

Back