Help, e brake snapped off

chris.mp5

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5 2.0
Pulled up my e brake and I heard something snapped, i assumed it would be the cable. I've been using first gear to park, but sketched out parking up hill. It tends to roll back without the e brake on even with first gear \ reverse. Hence the fact my drive way is up hill, it sucks i have to park at the side now. Help? Never done this type of work before. Thanks guys.

Not much advice to give you really. What you have assumed here is most likely the cause, Your parking brake cable has snapped at the front.

W01331759438DOR.JPG

That's the piece that I'm talking about, on the right side where the threads are ties up to your hand brake, and the section to the left that looks like a T is where your left and right cable tie into the caliper. On paper, it seems like a pretty simple basic job. I recently did this myself 2 months ago and honestly, it was a PITA. (my own experience, yours may be different)

Not much advice to give you really. What you have assumed here is most likely the cause, Your parking brake cable has snapped at the front.

W01331759438DOR.JPG

That's the piece that I'm talking about, on the right side where the threads are ties up to your hand brake, and the section to the left that looks like a T is where your left and right cable tie into the caliper. On paper, it seems like a pretty simple basic job. I recently did this myself 2 months ago and honestly, it was a PITA. (my own experience, yours may be different)

Thanks for the info, I wonder if there's a tutorial doing this? Shouldn't be too hard... i hope lol

That part of the e-brake is under the car between the body and an exhaust heat shield- you've got to jack up the car and remove the heat shield, which should be a complete pain in the ass if you're like me and every bolt on your car is seized/rusted/made of plastic.

I'm probably gona' break every bolt holding the shield on when i replace that part of my cable some time this week... oh well, stupid heat shield.

That part of the e-brake is under the car between the body and an exhaust heat shield- you've got to jack up the car and remove the heat shield, which should be a complete pain in the ass if you're like me and every bolt on your car is seized/rusted/made of plastic.

I'm probably gona' break every bolt holding the shield on when i replace that part of my cable some time this week... oh well, stupid heat shield.

Yup, did that very early into owning my car. Removed all heatshields since they were just rattling all over the place.

Even with the heat shied removed its still an awkward spot to get at. (I did this on jacks in my parking lot...)

Okay so besides removing the heat shield, how hard is it to remove the broken cable and putting the new one in?

Okay so besides removing the heat shield, how hard is it to remove the broken cable and putting the new one in?

The tricky part is just unhooking the left/right cable from the "T" part on the front cable. other then that.. its a cake walk

The tricky part is just unhooking the left/right cable from the "T" part on the front cable. other then that.. its a cake walk

Is there a certain way in removing the left \ right cable? By hand, pliers...or? When all that is done, how do I adjust them afterwards when it's completely installed?

Is there a certain way in removing the left \ right cable? By hand, pliers...or? When all that is done, how do I adjust them afterwards when it's completely installed?

undo 10mm adjuster nut at the e-brake handle first then it will be easily done by hand from underneath

undo 10mm adjuster nut at the e-brake handle first then it will be easily done by hand from underneath

lol from the sounds of it.. he does not need to undue the nut...the cable snapped which is what happened to me.. it was tricky for me to unhook just because of the angle. I used hand pliers and a lot of elbow grease to get it out.

Back