HELP!!!! CX-9 Extended Maintenance Plan - worth it? or I am being duped??

a.r.k

Hi,

I am getting a CX-9 2010 GT and was pressured in to get the extended service plan for $1700 for 6 yr/100K which covers:

-minor tune-ups 15000, 45000, 60000
-major tune-ups 30000, 75000, 90000
-12 oil changes every 7500miles
-covers brakes, wipers, shocks, belts, hoses, liquids, filters
-can cancel any time prorated
-no deductibles

He said I have to do this maintenance on my CX-9 and it's worth it. They way they make it sound is that I would be saving a lot of money but who knows. Have any of you purchased it and was it worth it? Should I cancel it? Please reply so I can try to cancel it before I get the car tomorrow.

Thanks!!!

I would decline it if I were you.
Here is a list of what I have done since new. (3yr 35K now)
1. oil changes: (every 5k) $30x7 = $210
2. cabin air filter: (every 10K) $10x3 = $30
3. transmission flush: $108x1 = $108
4. differential fluid change (recommended for AWD 28K to 40K): $150x1 = $150
5. tire rotation: $15x3 (every 10K) = $45
6: wiper blades: $20 (20K) = $20 (I live in CA... wipers are not that useful)
total: $543
Several free inspections included by my local Mazda dealer.
Mind you that 3 & 4 are not covered by Mazda schedule. If you exclude them, so far, I only have spent
less than $300 on maintenance.

Those 15K/30K/45K/60K packages are not required. They are rip-offs.
You do maintenance by following schedules on Owners' Manual,
not by recommendations from your dealers. Your warranty will not be voided just because
your dealer says so. It is Mazda who makes the call. So, just follow schedules from Mazda, not your dealer. CX9 is a very low-maintenance vehicle. If you choose a FWD, it is even cheaper to maintain.

"covers brakes"? What does that mean?
Think about it, $1700 plus interest for 6 yrs, it is like $2000.
For me, I will probably spend around $1000 by the time I hit 6yr/70K.
That includes TWO transmission flushes and TWO differential fluid changes, which are
probably not covered by your service plan.
What I am saying essentially is, your $1700 service plan probably only worths about $800 or less
if you prepare coupons (which they send to you by mails or get them on-line) before you go in.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
I would decline it if I were you.
Here is a list of what I have done since new. (3yr 35K now)
1. oil changes: (every 5k) $30x7 = $210
2. cabin air filter: (every 10K) $10x3 = $30
3. transmission flush: $108x1 = $108
4. differential fluid change (recommended for AWD 28K to 40K): $150x1 = $150
5. tire rotation: $15x3 (every 10K) = $45
6: wiper blades: $20 (20K) = $20 (I live in CA... wipers are not that useful)
total: $543
Several free inspections included by my local Mazda dealer.
Mind you that 3 & 4 are not covered by Mazda schedule. If you exclude them, so far, I only have spent
less than $300 on maintenance.

Those 15K/30K/45K/60K packages are not required. They are rip-offs.
You do maintenance by following schedules on Owners' Manual,
not by recommendations from your dealers. Your warranty will not be voided just because
your dealer says so. It is Mazda who makes the call. So, just follow schedules from Mazda, not your dealer. CX9 is a very low-maintenance vehicle. If you choose a FWD, it is even cheaper to maintain.

"covers brakes"? What does that mean?
Think about it, $1700 plus interest for 6 yrs, it is like $2000.
For me, I will probably spend around $1000 by the time I hit 6yr/70K.
That includes TWO transmission flushes and TWO differential fluid changes, which are
probably not covered by your service plan.
What I am saying essentially is, your $1700 service plan probably only worths about $800 or less
if you prepare coupons (which they send to you by mails or get them on-line) before you go in.

Just my two cents.

I had a bad feeling about it but unfortunately I signed up under pressure. But he did say I can cancel any time. So I'll try to get him to cancel before I pick up my CX-9.

Thanks guys!

Cancel it.
You don't want to lose your "freedom of choices", do you?
Not to mention your hard earned $$$.

Also had a great deal of pressure from my dealer for that plan and for a glasscoat treatment, he was keeping looking at me with those eyes saying "you are doing the greatest mistake of your life" but I am glad I declined since the more I read about it and the more it looks like a scam, especially for the prices they ask. And looking at the fine prints, it looks like it binds you with that one dealer for all these "great benefits", not with Mazda. My first Mazda dealer went bankrupt 2 years ago, sorry but no...

Glasscoat treament? WTF is that? Oh you mean extra margin for the dealer...yah...um.....no!

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum. Pardon the long post. We just took delivery on a 2010 GT AWD (after comparing to just about everything else in it's class). I'm as skeptical of extended warranties and gimmicks as any other bonafide cynic out there. My buddy doesn't call me a cheap bastard for nothin'. But for the first time ever I did pick up an extended warranty and the vehicle treatment gimmick. Ok, I know what you're thinking--sucker! Time and circumstance will tell I guess. There was no pressure from the dealer. I've had new cars (Volvo/Audi/VW/Isuzu) which have crapped on me all kinds of ways. I've had used cars (Saab,Audi,Toyota,BMW) that have crapped on me in other ways the new cars didn't. I'm pretty careful about the cars I choose and diligent about servicing. I love driving and drive a lot. But the plain truth is that vehicles are imperfect and often break-down for no good reason even when well cared for and well designed. I know Japanese vehicles are supposed to be pretty much bullet-proof, and it has been a long time since I've owned one, but the user reviews/forums and repair history from Consumer Reports for this particular (very cool) vehicle did not instill enough confidence in me to take a pass on the extended warranty. With regard to the Polysteel protective treatment I thought it was a great deal. I've got kids and we are at the beach, on the ski slopes, ATV'g in the mountains or hauling a boat in/out of the ocean. Plus we have a dog. Then there is the abundance of acid rain in the northeast, seagull turds and our vehicle paint color is black. Four hundred bucks bought me a retreatment every year for six years from the dealer which includes a wash and detail job prior to the treatment; plus puncture coverage for the seats and some modest reimbursement coverage for door dings/scratches. Normally I get my cars detailed inside and out at least once a year and it will set me back $150 (blue coral or simonize). So for what amounts to under a hundred bucks a year, I thought it was a comparatively great option. Oh and I have a 0% finance deal for 60 months so the cost of the extended warranty and protective treatment don't hurt extra each month.

I have used half of my warranty original payments on extended warranty repairs. I still have another 20k until it expires, so if any more repairs need to occur then the warranty will have paid for itself.

Ceric, you are leaving out the big unknown. Just one major repair after 3/36 and that warranty will look like the steal of the century.

I wouldn't buy this either, but....
If the Major Tune-up service includes transmission and differential service, and replacing the spark plugs, there's approximately $2000 in cost right there. Granted, you shouldn't need to replace the plugs that often, but it's not an easy job....and my local dealers wanted about $450 to change the plugs. I just had my transmission and differential fluid changed for $350. I need to drive to Ceric's dealer....he got a much better deal.

Concur with those arguing against the plan.
Dealers have pretty hefty incentives for selling those plans and that's why they are so pushy. The plans are based on statistical data and are "designed" to generate profits.
I have yet to see a dealer that would care of customer's interest before his own.

Take that amount of money, put in into a certificate of deposit, and if you trans goes out in 7 years from now, you will have saved yourself alot of money.

Did they also tell you that this price is good only as long as the car is under 25k miles? Then the price goes up? Mine did not say anything about the Mazda warranty being locked into one dealer - he indicated that was another warranty. I did not buy, as I wanted more information, so I came to this forum, and I am glad I did.

Latest posts

Back