help a newbie out

hey i'm new but i've had my protege new since 02
minor mods lowered/rims body stuff u know blah
i'm goin turbo and i have a 02 wrx turbo its a td04 i think? (tiny)
and an srt-4 front mount intercooler.
i'm lookin for help on how to get this accomplished.
will a 12:1 fmu be good for 6-8 lbs daily driven?
what will i need to do about my 02 sensors?
i'm plannin on runnin a log style manifold am i gonna
have heat issues w/ the radiator and fans in the front.
anyone that has boosted one of the 3rd gen 2.0 proteges please help, i wanna do it right or mostly right the 1st time so i don't blow this thing to pieces.

PhyschoMP3 said:
Honestly waste of time trying to use that stuff and going turbo.
why is it a waste of time? obviously subaru and dodge put those components on their cars for a reason-dependibility-plus honda's run diy turbo kits all the time. i wanted a relevant response, looks like i'm not gonna get it.

I wish I could help you out. I dunno much about those. I don't see how they would cause issues. but if I were you I would go to **************************.com and grab up a kit or at least their manifold. You'll need a new ECU(msp ecu) and probably new injectors.. I dunno what else you would need. It would have to be tuned I'm pretty sure.

I dunno..though. Hope I might have helped.

also, do you have any pictures of your car, I'd love to see it.

Call Hiboost, or pm Juan (username HiBoost TS) about his manifold. It will work with that turbo, other than that you can have a local shop fab IC piping for you. I strongly suggest getting some sort of ems (Haltech, MPI, AEM, Microtech.... ect...). Other than that you'll just need the basics, oil lines, fittings, some slim line fans. And get the awr motor mounts while you're at it, because you will need them, along with an upgraded clutch.

I think there is definetly someone who used a WRX turbo and intercooler on here.

Theres no reason I can think of not to do it other than it will take a ton of work to get going.

You should be able to use a log style mani and atleast one of the factory fans without much issue. The 12:1 FMU with a voltage clamp should do fine for your fuel needs..could add an inline fuel pump but not necessary. Or..you can always run a MSP ECU if you can find one...direct plug in and controls fuel/timing fine. (been using one myself for quite a while) Your factory O2 sensors will also work fine.

If you can get your hands on a Hi-Boost mani and downpipe thats 1/2 your battle. Stuffing the SRT-4 intercooler in the small space in the bumper and routing some charge pipes will be the other 1/2. If I remember correctly the SRT intercooler is quite tall? The Protege and Protege5 have a larger (or longer) Rad and A/C Condenser so it's a little more tricky running charge pipes...either have to cut some holes or route them under the front..may not be an issue if your not too low?

Oil lines are pretty easy and cheap..try Forced Fabrication..they have oil line kits for about $60...(T3-T4 but I'm sure you can make it work with some adapters)
http://www.forcedfab.com/product_info.php?products_id=337&osCsid=d0782616f87b74ab80ebfd0bf9e8022c

Here is a pic of my old set-up..it wasnt pretty but it was very functional and worked problem free.

Currently running a foctory MSP setup with a Hi-Boost FMIC. MSP ECU controls my fuel needs.
Hope this helps! Don't be afraid to tackle the project..it'll be worth it in the end and you'll pick up a wealth of knowlege along the way!

turbo%20in%201.JPG

turbo%20in%202.JPG

Currently running a foctory MSP setup with a Hi-Boost FMIC. MSP ECU controls my fuel needs.
Hope this helps! Don't be afraid to tackle the project..it'll be worth it in the end and you'll pick up a wealth of knowlege along the way!

Last edited:
thanx everyone that has helped me with this so far. i was thinkin about buying a charge pipe kit cuz the pieces are cut small enough that i might be able to work w/ it, also the srt4 fmic isn't too tall but i have a side mount as well if i can't get it to fit. does anyone know how to get ahold of a msp ecu or how much they are, and can i plug and play @ 8 lbs or would i have to run the msp 6.5?

protegeracer02 said:
thanx everyone that has helped me with this so far. i was thinkin about buying a charge pipe kit cuz the pieces are cut small enough that i might be able to work w/ it, also the srt4 fmic isn't too tall but i have a side mount as well if i can't get it to fit. does anyone know how to get ahold of a msp ecu or how much they are, and can i plug and play @ 8 lbs or would i have to run the msp 6.5?
People have safely ran low boost with an fmu and voltage clamp, but I still suggest you get some sort of ems, that way you can always upgrade later on. Either way gl.

if you really want a full kit, im going to be selling one for this kid i know! he wants 1700 for it! ill see if i can get pics! if your interested let me know!

mikeski said:
if you really want a full kit, im going to be selling one for this kid i know! he wants 1700 for it! ill see if i can get pics! if your interested let me know!

yah i'm kinda interested. what kind of kit is it? is it used, and does it come w/ any fuel system upgrades?

msp35 said:
the SRT4 IC will not fit, w/o MAJOR modifications (I tried)....bud good luck

how major are these modifications, i've got that side mount too, so i could always throw that in the engine bay and run that too.

Last edited:
well i saw it the other day, he is talking about putting it on ebay. it has a begi fmu and flyin miata voltage clamp. he has a new turbonetics wastegate and greddy gauges. ill see if i can get pics for you! i think its the wagner kit!

mikeski said:
well i saw it the other day, he is talking about putting it on ebay. it has a begi fmu and flyin miata voltage clamp. he has a new turbonetics wastegate and greddy gauges. ill see if i can get pics for you! i think its the wagner kit!

why do i need a voltage clamp for an fmu?????

protegeracer02 said:
why do i need a voltage clamp for an fmu?????
Basically because your stock ecu will pull any fuel you add with the fmu.The voltage clamp is activated when you begin to boost and the voltage isn't allowed to go past a pre set point. Since the ecu doesn't see that the afr is running below 14.7 you can add more fuel to get your afr's closer to 12:1.
Do a search, there have been many threads about fmu/voltage clamp setups.
Hope this helps.:)

Back