hello! im new and am looking to buy a miata

crusader

how is everyone doing?! i trying to buy a used miata, where can i find info on the differences between years, and which year/model is the best for all around sorts car driving and auto-x ?
thanks

Basic break down (for US models):
NA6 90-93 1.6l
NA8 94-97 1.8l beafier trans case, bigger rear, more chassis stiffening
NB8 99-05 1.8l More chassis stiffening, and ugly non-pop-up headlights :p
NC 06- Um.. i dunno a lot about the new one really. The chassis is tighter though.

There are little things, like a 'fake' oil pressure gauge on the 95+ cars. But what i listed will get you going. There is more aftermarket support for the 1.8l cars, particularly the 94-97s.

MiaTurbo said:
Basic break down (for US models):
NA6 90-93 1.6l
NA8 94-97 1.8l beafier trans case, bigger rear, more chassis stiffening
NB8 99-05 1.8l More chassis stiffening, and ugly non-pop-up headlights :p
NC 06- Um.. i dunno a lot about the new one really. The chassis is tighter though.

There are little things, like a 'fake' oil pressure gauge on the 95+ cars. But what i listed will get you going. There is more aftermarket support for the 1.8l cars, particularly the 94-97s.
but the NB's are sexier with a hardtop. :) Welcome to the forum. We are actually in the middle of re-vamping the miata/mx-5 section. Be looking foreward to lots of updates.

thanks for the info i will start to read the site, as far as the yearly breakdown, it dowsnt help much it just makes me want to buy the newer models!! it seems like with each year it gets stiffer and better! hehe

i need a reason to buy an older one, but which year? thanks again!

crusader said:
i need a reason to buy an older one, but which year? thanks again!

First year of the 1.8L, all the good chassis and body stiffening stuff, a REAL oil pressure gauge, bigger brakes than the 1.6L cars, pre-OBD-II so if you go FI no worries about that junk, no O2 sensor after the cat... dual air bags...

Plus the 100,000 mile ones are $3,000 or lower.

MiaTurbo said:

Completely different car. Not a single part has been carried over.
The cupholder in the is in a crappy location. It's right where you'd brace your knee in hard cornering...

But, I'd still take one in Winning Blue!!

lagunamiata said:

First year of the 1.8L, all the good chassis and body stiffening stuff, a REAL oil pressure gauge, bigger brakes than the 1.6L cars, pre-OBD-II so if you go FI no worries about that junk, no O2 sensor after the cat... dual air bags...

Plus the 100,000 mile ones are $3,000 or lower.

Yup, 94 is the way to go. Plus it comes with added underbody bracing the 90-93s didnt have:)

lagunamiata said:
Completely different car. Not a single part has been carried over.
The cupholder in the is in a crappy location. It's right where you'd brace your knee in hard cornering...

But, I'd still take one in Winning Blue!!
you obviously don't understand the logic behind 4 cupholders in a 2 person car. geez..

I have a 10th Anniversary Miata (1999) with the 6 speed tranny with ONLY 6800 miles. NEVER seen rain. Stored winters. Let me know if its something you're interested in. We'd be looking for around 15k.

yeah looking back. i wish i would have gotten a 94 or something. coulda paid it off in one shot and spent the rest modding, but i do prefer the look of the nb's, but modding money and speed i think would have changed my mind if i would have thought about it more before hand

If you guys are looking for a 94, I know where you can get one :) Black. JRSC with big-boost pullys w/MSD ignition box. brand new Konig Hurrys, and Toyo Proxys. 6-disk in dash changer. PM me :p

safariMP3 said:
I have a 10th Anniversary Miata (1999) with the 6 speed tranny with ONLY 6800 miles. NEVER seen rain. Stored winters. Let me know if its something you're interested in. We'd be looking for around 15k.

I highly recommend the 10AEs. :D The perfect C Stock car IMO. (first)

Then you can't afford a 10AE... It's the 10th Anniversary Edition Miata. Special blue color, 6-speed, etc. Sweet car, about $26k new. You'll be looking around $12-15k or more for one.

My dad bought a '94 black with leather and an automatic (he has MS and can't drive a stick) with 130,000 for $2500.

Last edited:
Back