heater dont work???

jamesk

:
mazda protege 2002
its funny how i notice this when it is the coldest day new jersey has ever been in since 2 years. for some reason the heater blows cold air. all the knobs work except for the hot and cold one. it doesnt do anything when i turn it, doesnt change at all. does anybody know what is causing this????

Pull your glove box and you should see a white box on the lower left hand side. Make sure your cable is still hooked up to the box (this box changes from cold to hot or hot to cold.)

^^ 95% chance that's the problem. Let us know if that doesn't work and we'll have a brainstorming session to figure something out :D

I had the same issue. My XM equipment (tuner box, etc. is located behind the head unit & it's a lot of stuff to be in such a small space...LOL!) seemed to have knocked the cable out of the clip. We managed to tie strap it & super glue it in place so it won't happen again. LOL! Everyone here was so helpful in helping us figure it out.

what settings do you have it on? I usually have outside air allowed in, heat to maximum, and then level 2 fan on floor and dashboard vents.

redpr5 said:
my heater just doesnt get hot. its like mildly warm. any ideas?

Mine was coming out mildly warm in the feet, defroster, or defroster/feet position. It would blow out cold from the vent or vent/feet positions even if you had it turned all the way on hot, blowing on number 4, outside air or recirculating. All this was fixed when the clip got fixed. Now, I get actual hot heat coming out of the defroster and the feet vents. One thing we noticed though is that when you put it on feet, it still blows out the vent unless I put it a little passed the feet towards the defroster/feet position.

i usually have it on outside air all the way hot, fan off, vent/feet
but tonight its like 17 degrees outside so i had it on recirculating, all the way at hot, fan on 4, vent/feet and the air was barely hot

LilPixieMama75 said:
Mine was coming out mildly warm in the feet, defroster, or defroster/feet position. It would blow out cold from the vent or vent/feet positions even if you had it turned all the way on hot, blowing on number 4, outside air or recirculating. All this was fixed when the clip got fixed. Now, I get actual hot heat coming out of the defroster and the feet vents. One thing we noticed though is that when you put it on feet, it still blows out the vent unless I put it a little passed the feet towards the defroster/feet position.

if it's doing that, the cable on the left side must not be clipped on in the right place, not allowing the assembly to rotate fully to one end.

Last edited:
Just fixed my heater today.
The problem was the clip that hold the cable in place to the left under the glovebox.

Worth checking out (Might be the problem)

yea that is probbaly it because i installed a few guages and i rain wire behind the radio and stuff. so where is this clip exactly so i can check it out? i really have no idea of what to look for or knowing on what the clip does, thanks guys for the help and support. i wouldnt know what id do with out you, lol.

Last edited:
it's kinda behind the glovebox.. pull the glovebox out and look back there and you'll see a white adjuster thing with the cable on it. there's a clip to hold the cable in place.

when you open it, just squeeze the sides in and the rubber thingies holding it there will squeeze in, letting it fall down. on the bottom, the left side is clipped in, and the right side slides into place.

once you get out there and take a look at it, it's all pretty straightforward.

alright illl take a look at it tommorow and see what happens. ill let you know what i accomplished, (hopefully something good, lol).

ill have to check that cable in my car as well and see if thats my problem too, cuz ever since my stereo was installed my thermostat control is real stiff and even all the way to the right its not hot

redpr5 said:
ill have to check that cable in my car as well and see if thats my problem too, cuz ever since my stereo was installed my thermostat control is real stiff and even all the way to the right its not hot

You might require more work.

Kansei said:
if it's doing that, the cable on the left side must not be clipped on in the right place, not allowing the assembly to rotate fully to one end.

It's clipped in right because all the other ones work right where they are supposed to, just the foot one is a little off. No biggie. I know about it now, so it doesn't bother me as long as heat blows out now! LOL!

Back