Heat shield D'OH!

speedblue88

:
2003 Laser Blue P5
OK, so I was attempting to remove the heat shield underneath my car in order to get access to my shifter to replace the bushings at the base of it. I got two of the heat shield screws out, but the front two were looking pretty rusted. I sprayed them down w/ PB Blaster and let them sit a bit. When I tried to unscrew them, I'm thinking the things broke off or were stripped, because the screws just spin in their holes now when I try to ratchet them out. My question is: Is there any harm if I just remove the entire heat shield and don't replace it? Will that screw anything up? Or does anyone know of some way to get these screws out. Thanks.

I had the same problem when chaining my shifter... a couple screws came out, the rest wouldn't. I tore that heatshield off and haven't looked back since.

Happened to me when i went to change my e-brake cable, i just bent it down and worked around it :)

Yeah, this happened to me too. It's why I have a rattle from my shield all the time. I've got to fix that eventually.

I dunno, the heat shield must be there for a reason. It may not be totally necessary but if nothing else, the heat from the exhaust pipe might degrade the shifter bushing grease faster. You'll just end up having to lube the shifter bushings all the time.

I just bent the heat shield down. That gave me enough room to work on the shifter.

i haven't had mine in for almost a year. Just don't forget to plug up the holes from those bolts with some kind of rubber/silicone.

Back