Headunit

fred_spitfire

:
Black Protege 5
Hey guys, i'm looking for a new headunit mainly because i want a usb port and i will get a better system this summer so i was looking around but i don't know too much about them so i'd like maybe a found hints on good headunits. thanks!

Ive always like Alpine and the Higher line of Kenwoods (kewood eXcelon) And now-a-days you can get a very decent headunit sat-radio ready, possibly with Sat radio for $200 or less. And the few units i looked at today were $120-170 and all had either USB or AUX (headphone) input on the front.

Look up stuff on crutchfield, you can get a universal aux input for the back of the stock head unit, its a little drop down cable that plugs into a mp3 player/iPod/iPhone etc.

well i'd prefer a usb port so i could just plug in a USB key since i dont have a MP3 player. any suggestions? and im not too interested in sat radio.

also, will the 150-200$ player play some good enough sound when i'll upgrade my sound system? because i don't want to have to upgrade it again.

Last edited:
This one is a great unit. Well in the budget

Kenwood KDC MP345U

Or Even this Alpine CDE-100 Its a base model, no mp3 cd i dont believe, but still front panel USB.

These both are entry level models, not the BEST , but will certainly be an upgrade from stock, and might be in your ballpark.

well my budget would be around 200$ and even a bit more if it makes a big enougj difference so maybe a little better one would do. also as i asked when i edited my last post, this HU will be on stock system for a few months but i will upgrade my sound system this summer so would they still be enough? of not wich one would?

Thank you alot for all your help here.

EDIT: oh and crutchfield.com doesnt ship to Canada, only their .ca does ans their stock is pretty limited.

Last edited:
as long as there is atleast 1 pre-out (for RCA connectors). You can add an amp. Almost very aftermarket unit has 1-2 pre-outs for amp/sub expansion.

never owned a clarion, but i have not heard anything negative towards them. 250 canadian, thats like $175-180 usd? kind of expensive IMO, but if its what you like, thats all that matters really.

lol 250$ US is about 250$ can :p the dollars are almost the same right now maybe and the HU is 250$us so it's like 260$ can or something not alot more.

Latest posts

Back