headlights dimming the brightening back up

:
03 p5, 92 miata
ive noticed in my p5 that my headlights will ocassionally dim then go back when just doing regular driving. they get dim like the would when you turn on the blower or are putting up multiple windows at a time, but I am not doing any of that when i notice the dimming.

I was planning on getting HIDs from xenonexpert. would that fix the problem im having? is it a common thing on everyone elses p5? or should I get the hids and also get that accessory cable which is run into the battery?

Check your battery. It looks like your battery is dying. It wouldn't really matter if you had HIDs or Halogen head lights. Once your battery goes its all done. Check to see if your battery voltage is 13-14V. That is typically the norm. I would recommend the HIDs as they are very helpful and you can see reflectors for about a mile or more.

It could also be the alternator on its way out. I recommend you get the alternator and battery checked sooner rather than after the car shuts down when you're out and about.

Could be the alt but the fact that the lights are brightening back up leads me to believe that when the lights first draw the power it overcomes the battery and the alt then compensates for the lost power. Though for simplicity get them both checked. The alt might suffer if this has been going on for some time.

MaxPower: Thats a great name. Homer Simpson renamed himself that in the Tree Hugger episode.

Last edited:
i dont know if it falls into the same category, but when i turn the blower on, the car has that small bogging feeling that i used to get in my civic when id turn on the a/c.

ill get the battery and alternator checked tomorrow at autozone. that is if they check alternators too. otherwise ill go to my local garage on monday

A bad battery cable ground connection can cause the problem you have. It happened to me many years ago on a Honda Accord. Cleaning and tightening the battery ground cable post solved the problem.

Clifton

I was gonna say, it could be the weak electrical system in the Protege. Mine dim when the AC kicks on and when I roll down the windows.

MaxPower: Thats a great name. Homer Simpson renamed himself that in the Tree Hugger episode.

Haha, thanks, that's where I got it from.

People, note that reut1 reports the lights are dimming (voltage drop) when there's NO sudden, obvious current draw (such as when rolling down a window, AC compressor turning on, turning on lights, etc.). This definitely shouldn't be happening randomly.

reut1, are you driving around with the HVAC set to defog the front windshield? In that case, the AC compressor can be cycling on/off, causing occasional voltage drop.

I'd get the charging system checked by a competent mechanic. Who knows what the untrained amateurs at AutoZone know/do.

nope, a/c is not on when this happens. just during regular driving with maybe the blower on 1 or 2. ill check the neg cable though, i know i took it off at one point and maybe didnt get it back on tight enough

nope, a/c is not on when this happens. just during regular driving with maybe the blower on 1 or 2.

if you have it set to defogger or defog/footwell. The compressor cycles on and off.

My P5 has done this for as long as i've owned it. I've gotten a New alt, battery, replaced all primary grounds (engine ground, batt, etc) with 4ga wire and cleaned the grounding points and it still does it. I'd say it's normal.

if you have it set to defogger or defog/footwell. The compressor cycles on and off.

My P5 has done this for as long as i've owned it. I've gotten a New alt, battery, replaced all primary grounds (engine ground, batt, etc) with 4ga wire and cleaned the grounding points and it still does it. I'd say it's normal.

alright alright, i guess ill be getting myself some HIDs once a headlight bulb goes out!

I would do it anyways. If your HID bulb/s go out you can still use the halogen as a backup.

Note: disconnect the ballast before hooking up halogen bulbs.

alright i think im gonna order myself up some headlights. getting darker earlier so figure thats a better investment than an intake or anything performance wise.
does everyones plug for the headlights the one that an h4 bulb would plug into? with 3 prongs? I know the h7 plugs into a little adapter, then 2 prongs plug into the harness to the car and leaves one empty (since no wire is going to that slot). are everyones like that? just seems kinda funky

also im looking at the 6k 35watt version of this http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/DDM_35W_55W_Slim_Ballast_HID_Kit-101-85.html . fine to get just that and not that accessory harness? i saw one post recently of a guy who put in the additional harness but it seems most dont use one.

Back