Headlight Problems

antlerbrand

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5, manual, red
Hi, I have a question. In June I replaced the stock headlights because the driver's side went out. And now the same bulb went out. I don't know why it would be only one of them. Replacing bulbs every 7 months isn't cool. However I think its something electrical, which is an even worse problem for me, cause I have no experience with that lol.
If any of you have had similar problems and have tips or anything... they're appreciated :)

antlerbrand said:
Hi, I have a question. In June I replaced the stock headlights because the driver's side went out. And now the same bulb went out. I don't know why it would be only one of them. Replacing bulbs every 7 months isn't cool. However I think its something electrical, which is an even worse problem for me, cause I have no experience with that lol.
If any of you have had similar problems and have tips or anything... they're appreciated :)

its a common problem on p5's, dont ask y just spend the money. lol. one goes out on mine about every 5 months or so

silverstars

i concur with skinnyjoint- shut up and by the bulb! lol, just kidding. i have the same problem, so i would say it is indeed a comman problem. problem i have is that silverstars are so damn expensive! good luck with this- if you find a solution, i am sure plenty of us p5 owners would be happy to hear about it!

Just a quick note here, something that has com up recently.....Sorry Brad...I'm tellin' ur story...lol....

My friend recently installed a voltage guage in his P5 and has noticed that the voltage swings alot in our cars, especially on start up...The first time you touch the gas pedal, the voltage somtimes jumps up to over 15-16v...correct me if I'm wrong on the #'s there Brad...

He has noticed that the majority of his headlights blow at start up, so if you can, ie. have the time or remember...once ur car has started, oil has come up, give it a little shot of gas before you turn on the head lights, you'd be surprised, it doesn't have to go up much over 2500rpm, let the motor settle down again, and turn them on, the voltage should've balanced out by then...

Probably not the be all and end all for this problem....but it's worked so far for him

Brian MP5T said:
What if you leave the lights off for a bit after starting.

I don't think it matters...I'm almost positive the voltage still spikes a little the 1st time you touch the gas...My buddies car was sitting in a driveway running with the parking lights on. When he came out he turned on the headlights, put it into reverse, hit the gas and got a pretty purple light flash infront of his car right before it blew...he also uses Silverstars. They have a 1 yr warranty, I don't think Canadian Tire planned on giving him that many bulbs...ha ha...oops!

Well I had a problem with one of my light going out, and what I did was give the headlight a couple of "love taps" right onto the light and it would come back on. Better than replacing it and god knows how much of a pain tha could be.

hey,

silverstars from canadian tire have a 1 year over the counter warranty. I've already had one replaced free.

matt

hey,

well I replaced the drivers bulb cause it blew, now tonight the passenger side buld blew. My fogs are still ok (knock on wood) all the bulbs were installed at the same time. So... that is one bulb on each side in less than 6 months... I run Silverstars. Thank god for warranty

Matt

I think that more then likely there is a voltage problem with the P5. With my lights on I notice that about every 15/30 mins my lights will flicker brighter. I too have Silverstars, and it sucks having to shell out the 20 bucks for one bulb when it blows.

the fogs last the longest from what ive read. my passenger bulb always goes out before the driver side, regardless of the bulb type. so ive givin up and gave into just buying new bulbs when both blow

my bulbs dim too, but thats cuza the subs in the back (headbang)

duuudeee.... nooooo....

silverstars have a 1 year over the counter warranty on them. Dont pay for the new bulbs. Keep your receipt and exchange it.

Matt

Back