Headlight problem

p5TO

:
2002 Proteg 5
My car overheated and sprayed coolant all around the overflow. I fixed the overheating problem by changing the thermostat.

Now both my headlights are out. The high beams work. Just the low beams/running lights aren't working. I have checked the relays by swapping the headlight one with the working horn and rear light ones, the fuses in the fuse box look intact and I checked with a new bulb.

Also, the heater/defrost fan only works on the highest setting now.

Any ideas what else I should check?

1) Trace the voltage back...obviously you have nothing at the bulbs, go back to the fuse box, take the headlight fuse out and see if there is voltage across the fuse terminals (w/ lights on, ofcourse). I would assume the light switch is downstream of the fuse box, so if you have voltage at the fuse box then go to the switch (might be a pain to identify which wires are for the headlights - the manual should provide colors). Anyway, point is keep going back from headlights until you get votltage somewhere.

2) Take a look at wherer the coolant might have gotten into that has something to do w/ the headlights.

Thanks! I'll try tracing back from the lights tomorrow after I pick up a meter or whatever from the hardware store.

First pull all the connectors and look for coolant. Dry out with electrical contact cleaner.

Check the bulbs - the coolant may have blown them.

(Check simple stuff first - you know it is related to the overheat/coolant issue)

Thanks for the suggestions! I checked one of the bulbs by replacing it with a new one... no luck. As for the connectors, I'm not familiar with where the connectors are. All I originally saw was a bundle of wires taped together near the fuse box. I'll take a look again to see what connectors are around the overflow.

The fans were blowing - coolant is probably everywhere... Start with the connectors at the bulbs and follow the harness. Connectors will be visible (not covered in factory tape) for easy of assy at the plant ;)

Back