Headlight Issues

IRISH22 said:
How long have your bulbs lasted?
The first set of PIAAs I had lasted 11 months (both blew within a few days of each other), and since the warranty is 12 months I got a new set free...have been using them for 5 months.

Mazda P5 driver said:
Have you been living in a cave? Did I say HID?

Please STFA
Why don't you just clarify what you're trying to say and stop being an asshole....I wasn't trying to attack you.

Last edited:
DrummerJim50 said:
The first set of PIAAs I had lasted 11 months (both blew within a few days of each other), and since the warranty is 12 months I got a new set free...have been using them for 5 months.

Why don't you just clarify what you're trying to say and stop being an asshole....I wasn't trying to attack you.

Point is....it was done about 2 years ago and has been all over the internet that the P5's headlights are pretty much without competition. HID's have their limitations as well, that is why they are NOT the best to have. IMO the best combo would be HID fogs and our stock headlights.

Drive down a deserted road sometime. If there are reflectors you will see what kind of patter these things have. reaching 4 lanes WIDE is not a problem and 500ft depth is pretty damn good. The test said they lit up a 600ft marker which was better than the xenons they had on hand. Average was about 400ft iirc. Highway signs get lit up as if they had their own lighting. Hence...you might want to lower the beam.

It's an opinion too, I want FULL warranty and won't mess with anything. The headlights are perfectly suited. I even f**k with people sometimes on the interstate/roads. I'll pull up next to them and cut the headlights off and see how fricken dark it is then I cut them back on and its like I have airplane headlights on, then I drive off. Funny as hell. Especially those cheap ass fake xenons. Some fool did it to a Element.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with stock bulbs and I have no idea why anyone "upgrades" them. At that point, you are being selfish and are blinding other drivers for no damn reason.

I think my lights were the original from the plant and i had my driver side on me blow out the other night. 54xxx miles. so i ordered some super white LUMINICS from Cullen. should be here tomorrow

i have managed to blow a number of the driver-side bulbs.

i am using the osram silverstars now and they are good lights. light up thing much better than the stock bulbs.

i have had lots of accessories running off the battery and i guess that can cause surges in the electrical system, whuch can cause you to blow bulbs?

my sister seems to have had her bulbs in her 01' ES2.0 since new. i just have a kenwood wOOx installed in her car for her.......

Not to be redundant, but stocks or HID's. Save your money and buy the real deal. I've had my HID's for 2yrs and I just now replaced a bulb ($100 a pair). That's the look you're going for anyways right? People constantly compliment the look.

Go HID :) looks great when done right, and from my experience mine have lasted a year w/o problem and i do alot of night driving. 5000k one year and still work thought im not looking foward to the day when they go out on me :(

What are you talking about here?? HID lighting?? Are you trying to say that our cars have the best lighting stock? <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Consumer reports said that the P5 had the best non xenon lights around, and was better then most xenon lights as well.

I tried to take my bulbs back to Checker (which was the only place aroudn that had our size) and was told that no returns on opened lights! This was after the 2nd set btw. So now I have stock lights while not looking as cool are lasting me a lot longer and aren't costing $25 a light as well!

I must say though, when I first bought the car I was very impressed with our stockers the first time I drove it at night.

My Silverstars last about 8 months with my usage. It's worth it for me to get the improved light, although I agree that our stock lights are very good. But at the cost equivalent of one dinner out every calendar year, I have no problem paying the $38 a pair. I also have Silverstars in our Grand Caravan and they're still going after 1 year.

PR54LIFE said:
Not to be redundant, but stocks or HID's. Save your money and buy the real deal. I've had my HID's for 2yrs and I just now replaced a bulb ($100 a pair). That's the look you're going for anyways right? People constantly compliment the look.

I don't really want illegal lighting that will kill oncoming motorists. If I was going to do HID I'd do it by retrofitting the projectors from a car designed for HIDs into our headlight enclosure, which is so much more expensive than picking up some Osram Silverstars. I just like the white color temperature (not the "CRAZY JDM BLUE XENON !!!11!") of the Sylvania Silverstars or Osram Silverstars, I'm quite satisfied with the light output and agree with the people posting about adjusting their beam pattern so that it doesn't project out quite so far; It's unnecessary for low beams to project so far.

zverg said:
I don't really want illegal lighting that will kill oncoming motorists. If I was going to do HID I'd do it by retrofitting the projectors from a car designed for HIDs into our headlight enclosure, which is so much more expensive than picking up some Osram Silverstars. I just like the white color temperature (not the "CRAZY JDM BLUE XENON !!!11!") of the Sylvania Silverstars or Osram Silverstars, I'm quite satisfied with the light output and agree with the people posting about adjusting their beam pattern so that it doesn't project out quite so far; It's unnecessary for low beams to project so far.

Well there really isnt any thing wrong or bad with HIDs when done correctly, the key is aiming the lights lower then the stock height to off set the difference, you dont lose any useable light by lowering them eaither, and as long as you can modify the headlamp IE projectors, or even blackining the inside of the headlamp and putting on the lens covers on the top part of the light you should be fine but everyone has thier preference. With the Silverstars i never had a problem with them, my old honda had a pair and i put them in my moms truck becuase her stocks were way to dim for my likeing had them there for 9 months so far...

yea, lol, I know how to install headlights. I was a Honda factory tech for six+ years, and a Subaru Tech for just over three. No oil on these bulbs, its actually my wifes car, and i bought these bulbs for her because (1) we live in Oregon, land of perpetual rain, and (2) shes got nasty night time vision. The headlights are very good, but i liked the white light from the silverstars. I didnt know about the one year life span. i was just curious as to see if any of you had any other problems. My suspisious that it might be a voltage drop issue. ( my lights dim out slightly when the rad fan comes on) Im thinking of checking for a voltage drop this weekend. I just need to remember to bring home my volt/ohm meter.

Back