Headlamps

msp2003

:
Mazda speed protege
Hey everyone. I am new to the forum and need a little help. I have a 2003 Mazda Speed Protege and my seal broke on my headlamps and water is getting in it. I was seeing if anyone knows where I can find some aftermarket ones? I havent been able to find any.

Last edited:
speaking of water, when I had HIDs installed on my car (still getting the wires repaired and things sorted out before I install them in my new msp) but anyways I could see water droplets getting into the headlight, and I knew it was just condensation, but there are 2 little nipple or holes that are on the headlight (pic below of what I mean, thought there were more, like 2 on the bottom of the rubber seal, but I guess not). I assume they are suppose to vent the water but is there a way I can just keep water out all together?.. can I just fill 1 or both holes up with silicone (maybe poke a smaller hole in them so air/water vapor can still get out).. or is it just better to leave them be, and let the water evaporate when the lights heat the air enough to evaporate out.?

Attachments

• IMG_0402 2.JPG
    IMG_0402 2.JPG
    636.9 KB · Views: 107
I dont think there is a way to keep it out but i never have had hid's. Im looking to getting some hid's do you know how much they cost?

I would highely reccoment getting them from protephile, cheapest you can get, and really great product, (mine even survived my car accident besides a couple cut wires, but the ballasts even has some scratches in them, which bent/cut metal around it lol) but they are generally around $110 or $120 I think when I got them last year, just pm him and he will help you out

really easy, it took me a little while to get it right the first time because it was the first install of anything I did with my car (at least the fogs) but if and when I do it again once I get my wires fixed it will be cake, hardest part was trying to mount the ballasts for the headlight set, but I stuck them in the fender on the pass. side, not needed, this time I will just use self tapping screws and stick it right in the engine bay on the side away from most of the heat.. couldn't be happier with them, and I get a lot of complements with them as well

They are really easy to install, Took me 30 mins with the help of Rush because he gave me a link to when she installed them :D

ya i spent about 20min getting everything ready.. and about 2 hours trying to get the ballasts bolted into the fender area in the dark lol.. never again, not worth the effort at all, for some reason I thought the heat from the engine near the headlight would affect the ballast in anyway..

Ok cool. but if water is getting in the headlight is there anyway to clean that out or am i screwed and need to buy some new ones?

well water is getting into my headlights I think just because when I had my HIDs in I could 1. actually see it because those things are awesome lol, and 2. because they were a lot hotter and made moisture in the air condense in their, but they have 2 vent plugs that I posted before in the pic that are suppose to vent the moisture from there, but for me I Just wanted to see if plugging them up would ham them, you can always take your headlights off and clean them like that, but it will get back in (as long as it isn't getting in through a crack in the headlight anywhere, and just those vent holes in the back)

oh just saw again that your headlight seal is broken.. what do you mean by that? that rubber thing that pushes onto the back? or do you mean the seal that is inbetween the actual plastic cover and the container box thing (the actual headlamp housing) if it is the housing than you can take the whole thing out and pop the plastic off I'm pretty sure, I have seen little clip things for it, so I'm sure you can do it, and just maybe put some silicone around the rim and put it back on, if your talking about the back seal like that big rubber circle thing that goes around the outside than just order a new one, can't be expensive...
-let me know which one it is

well well what a coincidence this thread popped up. i just noticed the other day that i now have water in my passenger side headlight. and they were just both replaced after my accident.

lol, I tried getting some info about this a while back, but no one responded(ugh)
but even so, I want to see if being able to plug those holes with silicone and maybe even making a small pin hole in one of the silicone plugs so that air can seep in and out if it needs to when it heats up.. but I don't want to see water droplets in my headlights when I get my HIDs back in! lol.. would be nice to figure out what is going on..at least I know I'm not alone now

Back