Headers and NYS Inspection....

HFD45

Contributor
:
MSP No. 970
im looking at Tsudo or OBX headers for me MSP...just curious about NYS OBDII emissons testing with the CEL/MIL fix thread out there b/c im a license inspector. If installing the headers OBVIOUSLY your elimnating your cat and the lower O2 sensor, so the car isnt gonna pass w/o the cats all there (who cares im not gonna fail my own car by visual)....Secondly, meaning we are purposely eliminating the cat, the computer is gonna fail us so we have no choice but to do the CEL fix. What exactly does this fix do after reseting the ECU? Does it fool the system into thinking the cat & second O2 sensors are there resulting in no harm and a passing inspection or does it do nothing more then shut the light off so its not in our face, still resulting in my "you suck" letter from Albany saying i failed the emissons part of the test?

well if you have the mazdaspeed protege then the headers you are talking about are not the headers u need cause the mazdaspeed is turbo all the other non turbo proteges have the header with the first cat in it

djdanny5000 said:
well if you have the mazdaspeed protege then the headers you are talking about are not the headers u need cause the mazdaspeed is turbo all the other non turbo proteges have the header with the first cat in it

Thats what Im saying

HFD45 said:
im looking at Tsudo or OBX headers for me MSP...just curious about NYS OBDII emissons testing with the CEL/MIL fix thread out there b/c im a license inspector. If installing the headers OBVIOUSLY your elimnating your cat and the lower O2 sensor, so the car isnt gonna pass w/o the cats all there (who cares im not gonna fail my own car by visual)....Secondly, meaning we are purposely eliminating the cat, the computer is gonna fail us so we have no choice but to do the CEL fix. What exactly does this fix do after reseting the ECU? Does it fool the system into thinking the cat & second O2 sensors are there resulting in no harm and a passing inspection or does it do nothing more then shut the light off so its not in our face, still resulting in my "you suck" letter from Albany saying i failed the emissons part of the test?
Let me try to explain this:

A header (not plural in this case) is designed to get exhaust as easily as possible from the engine to the atmosphere. In a turbocharged car--like your MSP--exhaust gasses need to go through a turbo first. If you were to install a header, you would be ripping your turbo out.

Please take the time to read about turbo systems in general and your car specifically. This board is a wealth of information, but it's worth precisely dick if you don't use it.

welllllll now that just made me feel like an ass....thanks for the info, didnt even realize, i worked the overnight last night trying to put 2 & 2 together. No wonder y things werent adding up...eh wut ya gonna do, first time Turbo owner. Thanks

lol so hold on...im still curious would a header install w/ a CEL/MIL light "how to" pass NYS emissons inspection still? b/c it was bugging the hell out of me last night trying to figure it out

HFD45 said:
lol so hold on...im still curious would a header install w/ a CEL/MIL light "how to" pass NYS emissons inspection still? b/c it was bugging the hell out of me last night trying to figure it out

I hope so.....

With the CEL/MIL elliminator working properly, you would probably pass inspection. Most places won't pop the hood, so as long as you have no CELs you're fine.

Your best bet is to know your mechanic well enough that you know that he won't give you a hard time.

Pretzellogic said:
Most places won't pop the hood, so as long as you have no CELs you're fine.

most shops either dont care enough or dont have the time, as ya said if you know someone who isnt a ball buster your good

Back