Header Project/Brake Problem?

BlackCherry

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
Ok gunna make this as simple as I can.
I recently ordered OBX headers, but I'd like to be able to pass the emissons tests in my state. If I put the headers on would I need to take the primary cat off? Is there anyway to keep the cat on? I was also looking into straight though cats, so that I still get some kind of a performance boost out of it, are those any good? And if I kept the cat on somehow, would I still have the CEL/MIL problem?

Also I recently noticed my brakes screeching when I pressed on the brakes (sometimes when I'm not even touching the brake pedal) I checked the brake pads, but they still have plenty of padding on them. I'm doing a tire change tomorrow, so I'm gunna take a look then, but what could some problems be?

Last edited:
Only way I know to keep the primary cat is to swap your stock midpipe for the MSP midpipe which has both cats.

As for the cel/mil you could have an O2 bung welded into your stock midpipe and buy the extension harness. This will allow you to keep both O2 sensors vs using the non-fouler trick. I am not sure if any aftermarket midpipes have this bung pre-welded.

**edit I just remembered that there is another option to retain both cats but that would mean cancelling the order for your OBX and getting in on this GB - http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123734052

Last edited:
As for the cel/mil you could have an O2 bung welded into your stock midpipe and buy the extension harness. This will allow you to keep both O2 sensors vs using the non-fouler trick. I am not sure if any aftermarket midpipes have this bung pre-welded.

The SLS midpipe from protegegarage does have a bung for the second O2 sensor after the cat. The non-MSP version will work with the OBX header. I have that combo and it works very well. This combo should work for emissions testing, but I think it would fail a visual inspection if the inspector knew the car was supposed to have a pre-cat at the exhaust manifold.

The primary cat is part of the oem exh maifold. The OBX eliminates the first cat but has 2 o2 bungs in it. You will need the spark plug non fouler trick on 2nd o2 sensor to eliminate the CEL. It is 4.00 of parts & you drill one out with 1/2 inch bit, stack them in the 2nd o2 bung with the drilled one away from the header & screw the o2 into that. No need to cut wiring. That way if you need to put oem back on to pass visual inspection you can very easily. Mine passes emissions test & visual in TX without messing with it. Hi flo cat (57.00 off ebay - magnaflow) flex fitting & bigger pipe on your midpipe will help flow especially if you have bigger cat back exhaust.

Back