Header install trouble!

silverpro5

:
P5
Help! I need to have this running by tonight!

Here's the story: I had the header bolted to the head, but the two, spring-loaded bolts that connect it to the midpipe did line up enough for me to get them in. So I loosened the header back up so I can put the bolts into the midpipe and then fit the header over them. The problem is that I can't get the nut off of these two bolts because of rust (the bolts thread into the midpipe as well as into two bolts on the front). I've already soaked them in PB multiple times, clamped down one end in the vice and used a breaker bar, only to have it spin in the vice! Any suggestions?????

Thank you!

When I put the headers on mine the nuts were actually welded on and the bolts were stud bolts... I don't know if somone had done it prior to me purchasing the car, but something for you to double check...

Break out the torch and heat em up. I had to do it with mine as well. Some heat and a lot of liquid wrench will do the trick everytime.

Thanks for the help, but I ended up leaving the nuts on and getting the whole thing back on with some good old-fashioned elbow grease. Good thing, cause I don't have a torch....

You could do yourself a favor and get a MAPP/oxygen torch for the occasional use if you don't plan on doing any welding. It can save your ass and they are relatively cheap. Home Depot sells them for around $50. I had to use heat on one of the same nuts last weekend.

Those nuts are welded onto the mid-pipe flange. Either reuse them, or use a smaller diameter bolt & nut that fits right THROUGH those welded nuts.

Back