Header Choice

FunkyBuddha said:
The ractive's power gains start coming on around 1000rpm's lower than w/ the stock exhaust manifold. Run a search on the dyno results in the NA Tech forum...username: Blown
Thanks Funky thats exactly what I wanted to hear! :)
I don't suppose you have a copy of Blown's dyno graph? The link in that other thread isn't working anymore.

p5sundevil said:
its not that the emissions person knows a p5 has 2 cats its when you pull up and they ask make and model and yr and the computer tells em exactly what to look for.

parts like a header are so friggin easy to swap in and out even if you have emissions every 2 or 3 yrs....a couple hours of work to swap the stocker back in is no prob for me every few yrs.

There's more to a visual inspection. In the old days of dyno emissions testing that would be perfect. In PA they take your ECU O2 sensor datalog for about a week of driving. Either you have to send fake signals that will pass to the ECU (MIL eliminator might not work for that), or you have to drive for a week with the old header before going in for inspection.

Boozenbar said:
I have done some searching and it seem like the AWR headers give the highest HP gain. Is this correct?

if its good enough for speed world challenge cars its gotta be good ;)

I got the AWR. Most power, stainless-built. As they say, they use it on the WC car who are making about 240 hp, NA... Biggest gain of power so far!

Cool,
I think the AWR header will be my next upgrade.

I just got my flywheel and clutch on last weekend and I must say, I was not impressed. It really didn't seem like a $1000 upgrade. There is a little differnece in acceleration (not quite what I hoped for) and the clutch is much nicer. Just glad I had a friend who could put them in for me cheap. (stfu)

i dont know about u guys, but i think i'll be waiting for when DC SPORTS comes out with their header for us! (hah) (lol) (dance) (burnout) (headbang)

KYMP5 said:
they say it is, i really dont see how because you are removing a cat. Do you have emissions testing in your state?
Hey, Justin i just ordered a header today, one of the guys said you were off! I have a couple question's i hope you could answer? (1.) Is this header a 4-1 or a 4-2-1. (2.) What's the difference between the 2. (3.) At what rpm's should i notice a Difference? If you could get back to me on this, i'd appreciate it "thanks".

KYMP5 said:
you forgot to add ractive to your list of possibles (i only mention that because i have them on sale right now)

how many headers you have? im interested in the header. where can i find information about it. im debating on obx or the reactive header. thanks for all the info and reading.

Both the ractive and OBX are 4-1. The AWR is the only 4-2-1 that I know of. The 4-2-1 has more low end power than the 4-1's. YOu should notice a gain throughout the rev range. The higher RPM power (3K+) should be WAAAAY better.

tritonheat1 said:
Hey, Justin i just ordered a header today, one of the guys said you were off! I have a couple question's i hope you could answer? (1.) Is this header a 4-1 or a 4-2-1. (2.) What's the difference between the 2. (3.) At what rpm's should i notice a Difference? If you could get back to me on this, i'd appreciate it "thanks".

Mike R said:
Both the ractive and OBX are 4-1. The AWR is the only 4-2-1 that I know of. The 4-2-1 has more low end power than the 4-1's. YOu should notice a gain throughout the rev range. The higher RPM power (3K+) should be WAAAAY better.
So you're saying i'll notice a difference in the upper range of rpm's, more on the Topend! If so"Thanx".

Well i have the OBX and at around 3750 to 4000 rpm it really kicks in and it pulls pretty hard to redline. I don't race my car or drive very hard, but i will say that 1) It was the best in vestment for hp gains i have made so far 2) comes in nice on the freeway when i need to drop to 4th gear to make a pass - usually to smoke some pos farted out ricer (nana) 3) sounds cool and is A LOT better to look at under the hood that the pathetic stock cat - most ignorant people who look under my hood point to it and say "what is that thing?" (shocked)

So, if you got the cash buy the AWR and ceramic coat it. I just could not justify spending that kind of money on my $13,000 car ;)

Triton: The header will accentuate the torque peak as is. Right now that's 3500-4000 RPM. You'll notice the biggest gains around there. The reason for that is the cams. The cams in our engine are NOT designed in any way shape or form to make power above 5000 RPM.

That said, if you got cams designed for a torque peak around 5500 RPM, that's where you'd see the most gains, and you'd have a much higher peak horsepower.

Since the headers accentuate the rest of the engine you'll get better throttle response and more torque and hp than you're used to. In order to distinguish between 4-1 or 4-2-1 you really need to have the cams to match.

im still waiting to install mine, i was on vacation last week and never even thought about it. maybe ill do it this week and dyno sometime thereafter

Back