header before and after pics

tonkabui

Little Asian Member
:
2002.5 protege5
before:
DSCF0131web.jpg

notice ugly bronzing and purpling (blarf)

AFTER:
DSCF0135web.jpg

DSCF0133web.jpg

DSCF0134web.jpg

(rei) i like my header again. now to find that blasted leak i sprung today. GRRR. it's always something!

Check at port 1 and 2 or where 1 and 3 comes together. If there is no brace support from starting the car it will twist the header check that area. Thats where mine was. I welded it no problems now.

Jet hot Truc. you need to have it jet hot ceramic coated. Mine still looks the same as the day I installed it. Your's does look better. What all did you do to it.

header%204.jpg

rednecks_r_us said:
Jet hot Truc. you need to have it jet hot ceramic coated. Mine still looks the same as the day I installed it. Your's does look better. What all did you do to it.

header%204.jpg

I did not clean mine every week now it is grayish but shiny....

the secret to the header cleanup is the stuff daveB uses to make the polished rings brushed. it only works on SS headers.

as for the leak... i love living with a mechanic. we're gonna take care of it tonight. it's that blasted 4-2 joint again. the header is braced to the engine below the 4-2 joint but before the 2-1 joint, so i don't know why it keeps flexing so much. we even used copper silicone gasket as well as an exhaust gasket AND stainless steel bolts.

and no jet hot for me! too much money! SS does just fine with the heat cycles and i love how evenly bronzed the header is now (after i brushed it up and sprayed the crap out of it with soapy water).

Big Dog said:
How do you know you have a leak? what are the signs that you do?
Big Dog

this is a new one. my last exhaust leak from the bolts stressing out and deforming its threads caused my car to sound like a diesel (or a lawnmower). this new leak is a tick. apparently, it's smaller than the old one, but has a much more distinct ticking sound. no bueno.

Truc, I've been using the same pads myself but don't get used to that nice clean finish. My re-bronze's after about 2 days of driving. Also, I had 2 small thumbprints on #2/3 runners. I can brush everything off and it'll look spotless, then after 50 miles or so it's all 100% back.

I still do this though when I plan on showing the car somewhere.

haven't had a problem with uneven purpling yet. it does bronze though. and i don't mind the bronzing at all. it was just those nasty fingerprints that got to me. second day of driving half an hour each way to and from school, so we'll see.

hows it holding up 3-4 days later?? I re-did mine and it didn't last a day. I also noticed that your flange doesn't show any signs of rusting or discoloration...mine does. Maybe yours wont stain as badly or at all...I noticed when I installed anarchistchikens header that it was rusting before we ever took it out of the bag (the flange that is).

blaxer said:
Your car is a lawnmower truc.

blaxer,

oh yeah? well, my dog can kick your dogs' ass. that's right. all three of them.

matty,

haven't had any rust issues. checked everything when the car was on the lift wednesday night. the pipes below the 4-2 section are a perfect shiny bronze. makes me mad that the top didn't bronze that way. oh well. matte bronze doesn't look bad. as for the brushing, nothing's changed yet. very nice bronzing, no purple discoloration. maybe the obx header isn't the same SS that SSautochrome uses?

this is why you clean it before you install it and then use rubber gloves to install. ask anyone who has seen my header, its perfectly bronzed. no purple at all. well, that was at least until the snow and salt got to it.

that's what i tell everyone to do now. i learned my lesson well. i just checked on the header right now. it's a deeeeeeep bronze now compared to the pics. i'll take more after the batteries are charged up.

protejay5 said:
this is why you clean it before you install it and then use rubber gloves to install. ask anyone who has seen my header, its perfectly bronzed. no purple at all. well, that was at least until the snow and salt got to it.

Back