Head-unit... usual crap-out?

Zhan

:
Titanium MSP, 94 Miata-R red
Alright, last night, turned on my car; lo and behold, my HU display was blank. It was still "working" fine, as the button backlights were still normal, I could hear sound, and I could do the normal functions with the buttons (changing stations, etc.)... just I couldn't see anything. I think I could see red lines running across horizontally across the display, but I'm not sure. Funny thing is, when I hit the "eject CD" button and the HU angled sideways, the display came back on, but would go away again when in normal position. I didn't test that this morning, though, so I'm not sure if it still even does that.

Is this the normal HU crapout? Because it seemed like normally the HU just stops working altogether.

When mine crapped out it would sit in the eject position if the headunit was in place. No sound, no display. I think right before that it would do what you are talking about where you could just see the red lines. This all happened within a few minutes so I think it's safe to say that yours is done :(

=( Oh well. The only real thing that annoys me is that I don't have a clock now, hope I'm not running late for anything for the time being...

So I'll just take my car to the dealer and warranty it?

Do yourself a favor and just get a different one. The stock unit is flawed! The replacement will do the same thing eventually.

Out of the few problems the msp has, this one honestly pisses me off the most. More than a blown motor!The cd player breaking really pisses me off. I'm on my 3rd one and when it does break, I will most likely get an aftermarket cd player unless I can get a 4th through Mazda.

I hear you! But of all the MSP clubs to be in, the broken HU is the least expensive to remedy. Mine only lasted for 2 years and 7 months. That is just pathetic.

I put a request to sticky my thread...which references that thread. People need to read all the options before ripping apart the stereo.

Back