Head gasket recommendations

Jordysoso

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Need companies, websites, sizes, part numbers if possible. I believe all my problems point to the headgasket so I need some help from everyone b4 our Mazda corral next weekend at mid Ohio sooo...... HELP PLZ!!!

thanks guys, cres ill let you know whats goin on.. had a mechanic friend look at the car, said gasket looks fine, no coolant in oil and no oil in coolant, just have a rough idle and HAD a cylinder 3 misfire. tried to get to the egr to clean it, so i pulled out battery, strut tower bar, and still couldnt get to it. have to get it replaced soon. but in other news, what is the inlet diameter of the throttle body and MAF? the couplers on my aftermarket intake are starting to show signs of age and need to replace them but i dont wanna pull them off to measure s*** up because the closer i get to the firewall, the more of a b**** it becomes to get my big hands in there.

How does a rough idle and a missfire point to a bad headgasket? Head gaskets are usually good pretty much for ever unless the car over heats... well not forever but still

Misfire, coolant being lost, low idle, sporadic at start up, loss of power. But the egr is straight rusted and I'm gonna clean the MAF.

So anyone know the inlet diameter of the throttle body and diameter of the MAF? need to replace the couplers and I don't wanna risk breaking the rusted t bolt clamps by takin it off again. Gonna buy off eBay bc it's cheaper than $23 couplers from advance

Clean or replace your maf and clean egr should fix low idle and loss of power. Also replace air filter and general tune up will help. As for losing coolant do you have any leaks? Its gota be going some where do you have any over heating issues? And have you done a compression test?

The throttle is 2.5" and the Maf is 2.75" not 3". You can get a 2.5" coupler on the Maf but it is a pita but fits nice and tight.

Tweety, that would in turn lead to a head gasket. I kno that when they flushed it, they filled overflow and radiator. It all drained into the block. And thanks for the measurements 20inch!

eBay couplers on the way! 3 of them with t bolt clamps for a grand total of $20! Gotta love eBay

The coolant circulates thru the block. That's why you have the upper and lower radiator hoses. They didn't fill it when I had it flushed so now my overflow is empty bc it is all in either the radiator or block

Oooo I miss read what you said but eitherway have you done a compression test yet? I'm still doubtfull of it being the headgasket all the blown headgaskets I've seen have had over heating problems. Your car does have some of the syptoms though

No compression test yet. CEL is still off, car feels better, I kno egr needs done, and I'm creeping up on the 100k mark so water pumP and timing belt soon too

Update! Drove today, parked opened overflow tank lid, smoke was coming out. Smelled like exhaust fumes... No coolant in oil still tho and no check engine light. I'm at a loss for words...

Ok so I'm gonna attempt it. Anybody wanna help out? Also need a parts list I'll need. I'll probably drop in some arp head studs while I'm at it. Haven't set a date yet and still need to get parts but if anyone can help me out when I go to do it please let me know!!

Back