HDMI vs. Component

my setup right now til i get the cables is this:
htpc = component 1 (will move to hdmi 2 once i get the cable)
directv hd receiver = component 2 (will move to hdmi 1 once i get the cable)
xbox = component 1 (when i get the hdmi cable)
and a whole bunch of not as frequently used composite/s-video ports...i also have the directv box connected to the htpc via s-video...now my question is this...does anyone make a component pci card for the htpc?...and is it fine to hook up my htpc to hdmi without any worry of anything blowing?...

by htpc i am guessing u are meaning Home Theater Personal Theator.. and if it is, its a DVI video card is what u need, then get the DVI 2 Hdmi convertor cable... no matter what u do , u have to come from a DVI port, only way you will get a "High def" signal from a pc..

ook...got that covered already...im actually using a dvi to component out adapter so i could hook up the htpc via components, but since i only have 2 component ports, i would rather save those for things that really need it (since i have the option of hooking the directv box and the htpc to hdmi)...

fLyPiNoY7 said:
ook...got that covered already...im actually using a dvi to component out adapter so i could hook up the htpc via components, but since i only have 2 component ports, i would rather save those for things that really need it (since i have the option of hooking the directv box and the htpc to hdmi)...

made by ati huh?? to bad i called them up after i bought one cause i couldnt get a good HD picture, and he basically told me that its not a true hi def signal, its a better signal but its only mimicing 1080i..... i was ticked.. i have a problem though with mine, does urs flicker alot when u have it on HD through the pc??

just a tip guys, i know most of you will experience this, but when you use HDMI or DVI for your HD channels your analog or digital signals/channels will probably look like crap. I get that all the time at work "i spent 10k on a system and not ALL my channels look like HD? WTF?"....its a little hassle but hookup your HDMI and S-video or component as well to your tv or reciever, kinda like two outputs from your sat/cable box to go to your tv. you have to switch out the source on your tv, but at least your HD tv-set won't be looking like crap on analog signals. basically analog is crap so your HDMI cables and tv will try to amplify the crap

oh and btw VGA-component are pretty much the same thing(just different terminites). for some stupid reason s-video for computer use is different than HT....4pinVS6pin. and then DVI is different for both fields too. DVI-I vs DVI-D.....there are cables or converter "cards/box" that can do the trick. just have to do some research thats all. internet will probably be your best friend

shaneMazda2000P said:
made by ati huh?? to bad i called them up after i bought one cause i couldnt get a good HD picture, and he basically told me that its not a true hi def signal, its a better signal but its only mimicing 1080i..... i was ticked.. i have a problem though with mine, does urs flicker alot when u have it on HD through the pc??

it flickers right when i start up the computer from the bios til the windows logon screen...so it can be a pain when something doesnt start up, it stalls on the bios screen, and u have to hook up a separate monitor to see whats going on...but as soon as it hits window's interface, it works fine...im even running sagetv as the htpc frontend...gotta love 24 recorded in *almost* hi-def...

c0nfus3d said:
just a tip guys, i know most of you will experience this, but when you use HDMI or DVI for your HD channels your analog or digital signals/channels will probably look like crap. I get that all the time at work "i spent 10k on a system and not ALL my channels look like HD? WTF?"....its a little hassle but hookup your HDMI and S-video or component as well to your tv or reciever, kinda like two outputs from your sat/cable box to go to your tv. you have to switch out the source on your tv, but at least your HD tv-set won't be looking like crap on analog signals. basically analog is crap so your HDMI cables and tv will try to amplify the crap

well, if the whole industry switchover to digital signal fully pulls through this year, maybe we wont have to deal with the crap any longer!

fLyPiNoY7 said:
well, if the whole industry switchover to digital signal fully pulls through this year, maybe we wont have to deal with the crap any longer!

it doesnt matter if they switch over or not, u have to get the special HD box anyways, a normal digital signal will look a bit better than analog, but no where near hd... u need a hd digital box from the cable provider ..

shaneMazda2000P said:
it doesnt matter if they switch over or not, u have to get the special HD box anyways, a normal digital signal will look a bit better than analog, but no where near hd... u need a hd digital box from the cable provider ..

already got the hd box...just need the signal...

even though u have a hd box, not all the channels are in HD.... thats why on time warner cable, the hd channels are like 40 is discovery, 240 is HD Discovery..

Back