HDMI vs. Component

pr5owner said:
No no no,

TV = 1HDMI/DVI + 2 Component + bunch of crappy composite svid

HDMI = HTPC (you can play ANYTHING on this)
Component 1 = DVD player
Component 2 = Xbox/Xbox360/PS2/PS3
Svid = other stuff

I got 3 Components and a HDMI and also a DVI.

actually its hdcp not htcp, always always try to use component if you can unless you can run dvi or hdmi. the thing is if the signal you are receiving is HD you need a digital cable being hdmi or dvi(dvi only carries video as hdmi carries both video and audio). component is the best type of cable for analog. remember component STILL IS ANALOG. even when HDdvd or blueray comes out a true 1080p signal will take awhile to become a common use signal. number one hdmi has more than the capacity to carry a 1080p signal but with the hdcp coding it can't right now. the only thing capable is firewire yum yum. but things will change soon. back the the format wars.

yes, both the new samsung and mitsubishi 1080p sets have them, i think the new sony sxrd does as well. samsung and mitsu are both rear projo-dlp's. while the sony is a rear projection lcd.

well to the guy i was talking to on aim that just vanished on me. here is what i was typing out before you left.
-all in all with the dvd player itself and a decent hdmi cable you are looking to spend like 200-300bucks. lets say the dvd player will run you 100bucks, then it will be at least another $100 for a decent hdmi cable. so at least 200bucks, if you really watch tons of movies, def go for it. do remember though once you hook up this dvd player, it will take up an hdmi input- and if you already are running a hd cable/sat box with an hdmi output. i'm pretty sure the set you have only has one hdmi input. so maybe you have a receiver you can run it to. or get a hdmi switcher, i've seen decent ones run online for about 100bucks. common sence if you have only one input you are already using it up for the upconvert dvd player and will need a switcher or spend like 1k on a receiver that has mulitiple hdmi inputs. note the prices i just mentioned were based on retail prices, i know for a fact you can get it cheaper online, but there are pros and cons to buying online. just like anyone would say becareful.

whoever you were just drop me another im if you have more questions.-sorry for the bad "cyber" grammer i hate editing my typing in "chat" formats.

ok.. so the hdmi hooks up the hd cable receiver right? im getting my hd installed (free- so i dont give a rats...) this weekend and i dont know crap about it. what will i need the s-video cable for? anything?

if your cable hd box has hdmi out that goes to your tv, use that if you can. the s-video i'd hook up if you watch a lot of analog, depends on your cable company how it will look. analog tends to come up pixeled through hdmi
if you use aim, just send me an im c0nfus3dnlost (thumb)

c0nfus3d said:
if your cable hd box has hdmi out that goes to your tv, use that if you can. the s-video i'd hook up if you watch a lot of analog, depends on your cable company how it will look. analog tends to come up pixeled through hdmi
if you use aim, just send me an im c0nfus3dnlost (thumb)
right on thanks- i dont use aim.. at work right now :)

but would i need an s-vid AND hdmi hooked up?

i have digital cable, but some channels arent digital...

thanks again

ProPartsUSA.COM said:
I got 3 Components and a HDMI and also a DVI.

well what i ment is the 1HDMI/DVI, 2Component, 3+Composite is minimum for an HD compliant TV,

HTPC = Home theatre PC = play anything, copy anything, burn anything,

capnsavem said:
time warner cable in San Diego

not sure what box though...

Time Warner like to use the Scientific Atlantic or Pioneer, both of which have the HDMI output and it is active on most of the boxes.

Greg S said:
Time Warner like to use the Scientific Atlantic or Pioneer, both of which have the HDMI output and it is active on most of the boxes.
thats it... scientific atlantic... thanks Greg

gimpo2 said:
does anyone make a tv with firewire video inputs?

Yes, if you remember the mitsubishi HAVI system. You could connect your entire theater system with daisy chaining firewire cables. Didn't last too long.

What are some good HDMI players as well as upconvert players.

I am really liking the Denon DVD1920

We just picked up a SXRD 60" and will be buying some new toys for it as well.

I have 2 HDMI ports so the cable box and DVD can each have one - we do have close to 600 DVDs so a HDMI player would be in our favor vs a upconvert.

Also connected to the TV will be a Tivo box and a swither that has all of the game systems connected to it.

We will also be getting a home theatre setup soon -- dont know if Ill go HTIB or seperates (the HDMI receivers are crazy $$)

Pe@ce

Last edited:
i have the denon 1910. AMAZING up-converting dvd player. We sell the 1920 at work and i would suggest nothing lesser. it really depends if you want to wait it out for BR or HDdvd. we have the toshiba HDdvd player at work now. i've had the chance to play with it for about a month now. i love the thing don't get me wrong, but im waiting it out for the ps3. hopefully blueray is amazaing. for not just being able to produce amazing lines for any 720p/1080i image-WOW for the 1920, even so the sony has the ability to show 1080p pretty sure you are aware of that. some lesser end upconverting dvd players basically duplicate lines, to where lines of picture doesnt exist. if you were to pop in LOTR-two towers or something of that level on video quality-it wouldnt look that great on an upconverting dvd player. which sounds weird. but pop it on on the denon. basically any denon and its great whether or not you have it at 420p/720p/1080i. hope that meant anything for yah. sorry for the run-ons. i hate correcting "online" typing.

Yea I think we decided on the DVD1920 .... it will do the tv justice. And yes, no HD DVD player just yet -- I know BR will be the format of choice, so ill hold out till PS3

Back