Have a ?? about the motor mounts

HmG_mS3

:
08.5 MazdaSpeed 3
I keep seeing all these posts for like rear and pass. mounts for sale. is there something wrong with the stock mounts that are on the ms3? just a curiousity question.!

Yes. They cause cancer. There's just way too much give or play to the stock units usually resulting in a lot of missed shifts, swearing and other vulgarities, busted knuckles, dead babies, world hunger, murdered baby seals... and Russia.

haha.. okay, so do you think i should wait till they bust or just get some new ones if i can now?

Most guys get motor mounts because it feels like the motor moves around alot and it makes sure the power goes to where it needs to. I drive an 09 and i havent purchased one, thought about it tho. My main concern is if they fail but it seems the stock ones hold up pretty well on 09's, at least i havent heard any stories. Only thing you have to concern yourself with if you purchase one is how stiff because it will give off some vibes.

OP: Unless you expect to spend a LOT of time a the track and if noise, vibration and harshness issues mean a lot to you, stick with all stock mounts, except possibly the rear motor mount. These cars tend to have a problem with the 2-3 gear shift under full throttle. Upgrading the rear motor mount is a huge help in that regard, but at the price of some vibration at idle, especially when the air conditioner is on, and some gritty harshness under some operating conditions.

I've tracked my car a good bit and got over 40,000 miles on the stock mounts, but with frequent missed 2-3 shifts under hard driving. I finally replaced the rear mount and have just about eliminated those missed shifts up into third. Even with the softest street mount from SURE, there is that vibration and grittiness.

BTW: If you ever go with an aftermarket tune, such as AP or Hypertech, both tunes offer a way to increase idle rpm. By raising idle speed by 200 rpm, almost all of the vibrations associated with the mount upgrage go away.

I've got a sure motorsports mount with track urethane. I don't think the vibration is that bad, I only really notice it when I start moving. It eliminated my wheel hop issue which was my main reason for getting it. It takes about 15 minutes to install.

thanks for all the tips guys..!! i guess i'll upgrade them when i can.>!! just bought the car and it has 45k miles on it already so i guess its time.>!!

Back