Has LKAS gotten better in recent years?

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
I had a 2022 Honda Civic (cheapest trim) as a loaner today and was really impressed with how well the Lane Keep Assist worked. Puts my 2019 Signature to shame.
Just wondering if Mazda improved this and any other safety features recently?

Haven’t heard anything new from Mazda on these “safety” features as far as I know.

What about it on the Civic was impressive. I find all such devices annoying and unnecessary; including those on my 2 Mazdas.

The lane keep assist in the Mazda will give you a warning and a nudge back into the lane. It won’t steer for you like Toyotas system.

for the North American market - no. Its still the old functionality. Its enabled to trigger when its near the lines (late response). Although on the 2022+ its a bit better vs previous years. The tech is in the car (at least in 2022) its just not enabled as far as I know.
For some other markets its enabled to keep you centered (early response) , as the Honda you mention. No idea why they are not enabling it here.

for the North American market - no. Its still the old functionality. Its enabled to trigger when its near the lines (late response). Although on the 2022+ its a bit better vs previous years. The tech is in the car (at least in 2022) its just not enabled as far as I know.
For some other markets its enabled to keep you centered (early response) , as the Honda you mention. No idea why they are not enabling it here.
I believe Mazda North American Operations simply just decided to use older version of Lane Keep Assist System installed on CX-5 for North American market to save money and use up all the older parts for the system. It happened many times before such as the Smart City Brake Support where we’d been getting older version for several MYs but other markets were getting more advanced version with rear SCBS function and pedestrian recognition capacities.

With my CX-50, there's an added "Traffic Jam Assist" - not sure if this is available of later/higher trim CX-5s. It acts like LKA should do and steers for you, but only under 40mph and only if you keep your hand on the wheel, or keep touching it every minute or so. Even then the steering is a bit iffy. Meh.

With my CX-50, there's an added "Traffic Jam Assist" - not sure if this is available of later/higher trim CX-5s.
My new CX-5 2023 Exclusive-Line (Black Comfort Pack) Petrol FWD Manual delivered last July in The Netherlands has also the "Traffic Jam Assist".

Ever wonder why new cars are utterly unaffordable today? It's because of crap like that.

With one of the highest petrol prices in the Netherlands in all of Europe, we have to squeeze all the energy out of every drop of fuel!

Okay, back to Lane Keep Assist ;-)

In US, corporate lawyers have a say in what we can get.
Lane keeping and lane centering are two different features.
The former is passive, while the latter is proactive.
I personally don't trust system doing the driving for me ... yet. Maybe in 10 yrs I will change my mind. Not now.

Have to say, I drove my new Stinger on the freeway today for the first time on an extended run, and I used adaptive cruise, etc for the first time.
The car drove itself straight down the middle, with very smooth steering inputs. Probably better than I could do manually. It reminded me every few minutes to touch the steering wheel, but in a polite manner. It never disengaged.
It's so far ahead of the LKA system on my 6. Night and day.

Yea , I hope the green energy madness they mandate and plan to enforce soon in Europe never comes here.
It’s already happening in California where the California Advanced Clean Car II Regulations announced in August 2022 requires 35% of new-car sales to be zero-emission vehicles (ZEVs) in 2026 and 68% in 2030 before reaching 100%, a total ICE ban by 2035!

Last edited:
Ever wonder why new cars are utterly unaffordable today? It's because of crap like that.

Yea , I hope the green energy madness they mandate and plan to enforce soon in Europe never comes here.

It’s already happening in California where the California Advanced Clean Car II Regulations announced in August 2022 requires 35% of new-car sales to be zero-emission vehicles (ZEVs) in 2026 and 68% in 2030 before reaching 100%, a total ICE ban by 2035!

This has nothing to do with lane keeping assist. Also keep in mind that political discussion of any kind is strictly prohibited.

Back on topic.

LKAS on my CX-5 is exactly as others described. Will give a gentle nudge then vibrate the wheel, and that's it. Can't talk about Hondas but Toyota has a much much better system where it will actually keep the car dead center in the lane.
Their ACC is also better. If you stay behind a car below the set speed on the right lane and indicate left, the car will briefly speed up to allow you to overtake. It will also detect curves and prevent the car from accelerating unnecessarily.

It's a bit off topic, but I don't get the hate for these driver assistance systems. Adaptive Cruise Control in my opinion is a must if you're somewhat regularly driving on the highway. Once you get used to it, you'll realize that regular cruise control is next to useless. Same thing with a decent lane centering system.

LKAS on my CX-5 is exactly as others described. Will give a gentle nudge then vibrate the wheel, and that's it. Can't talk about Hondas but Toyota has a much much better system where it will actually keep the car dead center in the lane.
Their ACC is also better. If you stay behind a car below the set speed on the right lane and indicate left, the car will briefly speed up to allow you to overtake. It will also detect curves and prevent the car from accelerating unnecessarily.

It's a bit off topic, but I don't get the hate for these driver assistance systems. Adaptive Cruise Control in my opinion is a must if you're somewhat regularly driving on the highway. Once you get used to it, you'll realize that regular cruise control is next to useless. Same thing with a decent lane centering system.
Lane centering/trace really is nice to have for long distance drives. It’s not necessarily for the “safety” implied by Toyotas “Safety Sense” for me, but the lane centering feature really does reduce fatigue. I love my CX-5 for the work commute (40+ miles round trip with the mountain drive to and from home), but my wife’s RAV4 Hybrid is the family car and is hands down the road trip choice for lane centering and 40+ mpg.

Adaptive Cruise Control in my opinion is a must if you're somewhat regularly driving on the highway. Once you get used to it, you'll realize that regular cruise control is next to useless.

I completely agree and love it, EXCEPT when I'm following someone who gently slows down so my car does too, imperceptibly. Then I wonder why all these cars are coming up fast behind me and then realise I'm doing 10mph+ under my set speed. Doh!

Back