Handling Dynamics question

Ok here is the deal. I am wanting to increase handling but am fairly new at the whole suspension game.

What would be better a lower center of gravity and less lb/in spring rate

OR a higher center of gravity and more lb/in spring rate?

Note: Adjustable struts will be used with the springs.

J

The reason i ask is the progress springs are relatively low on the rates but offer a lower ride height than say the eibach pro kit springs with a higher rate with less of a drop.

Suspension can be more art than science. But I don't think I've ever read anything other than going towards a lower center of gravity. What is your goal or application? Street, autox, track?

A higher spring rate will yeild better handling characteristics. Lowering a car is beneficial, but if you don't have the spring rate the car will still roll.

There is such a thing as too low. You don't want the control arms to go below horizontal to the car as the handling goes to crap. So as close to horizontal is "ideal". We slammed the Spec Miata just to see how it would handle while we were tuning it and it handled like piss. But once I adjusted the ride height to where the control arms were near horizontal to the road the thing was flat. Then we were able to corner weight the car.

So both are important, but unless you get coilovers a higher spring rate will yeild better cornering performance, IMO.

Also, to make the car mor neutral and not understeer (as most cars are set up to do from the factory), increase rear stiffness (springs, swaybar, struts/shock [individually or ina combo]).

if you want the best handling out of those 2 springs, get the prokit. the CG is very important in suspension tuning but you still have to properly match your spring/damper, swaybars, contact patch, etc

Back