Halogen headlight question

nismospec

:
Nissan juke
I'm in the market for a CX-5 and I have a question about the headlights.
I'm looking at a 2016 Grand Touring, but it only has the halogen headlights, not the LED package.

Are the stock halogens decent? If not, what are the aftermarket options available on the CX-5 to upgrade the lights?
Just as a point of reference, I drive a 2011 Nissan Juke and I can't stand the stock halogens. I also have a 350Z with HID's and boy the difference is night and day (no pun intended).

If you're buying new, I'd cough up the extra money for the Tech package with the LEDs. The tech package is now a lower cost option @ $1,155 on the 2016.5 year vehicles. I think they just made the Nav standard (at least on the GT) and raised the base price.

I found the stock halogens decent on my 2014 3 Hatchback, but the LEDs are far superior. I also like the auto-dimming mirror that comes with the Tech package, and the AFS (Adaptive Front Lighting System) feature too.

Not looking at brand new, actually found a 2016 GT w/ 5,000 miles for 26K (includes bose package), and I can probably shake a few extra hundred out of the dealer.
New with the tech package are running upwards of 31K.

Not looking at brand new, actually found a 2016 GT w/ 5,000 miles for 26K (includes bose package), and I can probably shake a few extra hundred out of the dealer.

Hmm, if that's the case, any way you can take it out for a night time test drive? Or maybe they'll let you take it home for a 24 hour test drive? I think you'll have to decide for yourself whether or not the Halogen lights are up to snuff.

I'm looking at a 2016 Grand Touring, but it only has the halogen headlights, not the LED package.

Are the stock halogens decent? If not, what are the aftermarket options available on the CX-5 to upgrade the lights?
Just as a point of reference, I drive a 2011 Nissan Juke and I can't stand the stock halogens. I also have a 350Z with HID's and boy the difference is night and day (no pun intended).

Halogens sucks, I swap out them and install TRS HID H11 KIT. Works much better, just go buy LED one. The 1,155 is very cheap vs BMW or audi lighting bull s*** package.

Decent enough. I drive early morning hours in wooded back roads and they seem to do a good enough job. I ended replacing them with a set of PIAA Night Tech bulbs which were slightly brighter after a couple of years.

Didn't know GT came with halogens, thought they would be upgraded by default.

You can also get the Touring with tech package as the cheapest option to get the new LEDs.

well it seems that most everyone here really does like the led's and/or would rather upgrade bulbs.
I was afraid of that.

I don't drive much at night either, but when i'm in my Juke I always wish I had the sight of my Z.
Like others have said, it's probably best to get what you want than to sacrifice for $. It was just the best deal i've seen on a 2016 Grand Touring in a while.

Thanks for the input CX-5um. I had looked at that option as well, but i'm tired of vacuuming up dog hair so leather would be easier to wipe off.

A new 2016.5 CX-5 GT FWD with Tech (and LED lightings and AFS) can be had for $27,500 with all Mazda incentives. It can be done if you try harder and my friend did it. We special ordered our 2016 CX-5 AWD with Tech for $30,000 and AWD is $1,500 additional at time. Besides you could be able to find a new 2016.5 CX-5 GT with new memory seat and power passenger seat as others claimed. New car interest rate is also lower. And you won't regret to pay a little more right now for newer MY (better resale value later) and LED headlights, LED DRLs, LED fog lights, LED taillights, and LED brake lights in addition to AFS (headlights turn according to steering wheel angle).

If you are asking it means you would care :)
I find the halogens very decent and have no plans to replace them. Much better than older vehicles we have in our household.

I find halogens quite right for everyday driving, when I need extra brightness just use the high beam which is enough for darker roads. That being said, if I were you, I'd look for the Tech package as the LEDs look prettier. haha.

admittedly I haven't gone into a dealership to haggle just yet.
the dealers in Texas stick close to MSRP, I haven't seen much of any deals. (maybe $1,500 at most).

the cheapest brand new GT CX-5 with Technology package in my area is currently listed at $30,805
$1,250 discount
posted price $29,555

I checked incentives and i'm not really seeing any. Not a recent college grad, not military, not a previous Mazda owner, so it looks like incentives are very little.
I can walk into my credit union and in 30 minutes walk out the door with a check enough to cover the purchase of a vehicle at 1.9% so unless the dealers can get me 60 mo. @ 0% I like my tactics better.

You have a lot more buying power when you have a check in hand and you can set the price you want to pay right then and there. Takes a lot of the haggling out of the equation. Especially when you leave and they can literally see money walking out the door.

admittedly I haven't gone into a dealership to haggle just yet.
the dealers in Texas stick close to MSRP, I haven't seen much of any deals. (maybe $1,500 at most).

the cheapest brand new GT CX-5 with Technology package in my area is currently listed at $30,805
$1,250 discount
posted price $29,555

I checked incentives and i'm not really seeing any. Not a recent college grad, not military, not a previous Mazda owner, so it looks like incentives are very little.
I can walk into my credit union and in 30 minutes walk out the door with a check enough to cover the purchase of a vehicle at 1.9% so unless the dealers can get me 60 mo. @ 0% I like my tactics better.

You have a lot more buying power when you have a check in hand and you can set the price you want to pay right then and there. Takes a lot of the haggling out of the equation. Especially when you leave and they can literally see money walking out the door.
Email Mazda dealers in Dallas / Fort Worth area and you'd get much better price quote. Even without any incentives from Mazda you should be able to find 2016.5 CX-5 FWD GT with Tech for $28,500 ~ $29,000 easy! Usually Mazda will offer $500 cash during each haliday and 0% interest from time to time. Remember you're buying a newer model year CX-5 with higher resale value, and possibly getting memory seat and power passenger seat we've not seen on any CX-5 if you're lucky!

Back