HAHA Guess how bad my dad got raped by the dealership!!!! Lol

My dad got a CEL on his 03 pro5 and i told him it was probabaly his gas tank lid wasnt screwed on all the way or something minor like that.

today he went to mazda to get it checked out and when he got back and i looked at the work done receipt. it said "Performed system diagnostic, retrieved code po456 (evap sys small leak det.) Retrieved freez frame data. Pressure tested evap system, system holding pressure, no leaks. Found fuel cap not fully tightened. Must tighten fuel cap till ratchets. cleared pcm diagnostic."
COST $50(eekfu)

They also beat my dad for 20 bucks by replacing the bulb that illuminates the registration plate.

60 more dollars for checking his brakes, coolant, tire pressure, and fluids. All in all my dad payed $130 dollars for getting his gas cap tighted, oil change, and fluids checked.

Martin Mazda Dealership in Newark, DE loves to take advantage of my dad.(flash)

Shows how much of jerks the dealerships are. I mean how much of a dick do u have to be to charge $50 to tighten some poor old mans gas cap?

Hm. The dealership I work out has to by law check brakes and rotors, and do a overall inspection at no charge to the customer. But thats cali law. If your car comes in, it gets inspected, and the tech measures rotors and brake pads, and if they are low, recommend that they be changed. That way the customer cant come back after their brakes fail and blame the dealership. Sounds like its not a mandatory thing in your state

Kinda sucks that the dealership is getting money like that.

Although 130 for an oil change, and CEL diagnosis, and the price for the bulb (OEM bulbs can be pricey depending on the bulb) plus tax doesnt sound that far off. Its on the high side, but falls in line with diagnosis time, and time to install the bulb.

He chose to have the bulb installed, so thats kind of on him. He could have bought the bulb and done it himself.

Last edited:
Its not nice to say bad things about family members. But yes, its a dealership, they have to make money too. With most places charging $60-90 an hr (in WI), with a one hour minimum, what do you expect?

my dad is the kind of guy that ppl say things to and he will believe. my dad told me that the dealership didnt tell him what they did untill they were done. i normally change his oil and stuff like that, and he didnt tell them to do anything but fix the CEL. so i know the dealership took advantage of him.

i guarantee you that they didnt even check the CEL, they probably just tightened the cap, and charged 50 dollars. its commom for ppl to not tighten it all the way, and thats the first thing i would check if i was a mechanic

And he said he was in there for less than an hour so theres no way they did all of that in one hour (unless they had the whole team working on the car at once, which i doubt)

my dad is the kind of guy that ppl say things to and he will believe. my dad told me that the dealership didnt tell him what they did untill they were done. i normally change his oil and stuff like that, and he didnt tell them to do anything but fix the CEL. so i know the dealership took advantage of him.

i guarantee you that they didnt even check the CEL, they probably just tightened the cap, and charged 50 dollars. its commom for ppl to not tighten it all the way, and thats the first thing i would check if i was a mechanic

And he said he was in there for less than an hour so theres no way they did all of that in one hour (unless they had the whole team working on the car at once, which i doubt)

Dude, tell your dad about autozone please! Tell him to save that money and buy you the OBD-II tool instead! Seriously you can get them for around 50 bucks! They more then likely looked at the code, checked the cap and found out it wasn't on all the way, tightened it, and changed out the bulb. Which is what I would of done.

If they installed that bulb without your dads consent then have him go back and b**** at them for it. I sure would.

yea i told him about the OBD tool
he said he might get one.

i know when i get my car, im not taking it to the dealer so i can get raped too.
im doin all the work myself

They have a diag tool that tells them what the problem is when the plug into the car. Its like an OBD tool, but more detailed.

An oil change, brake and fluid inspection, and a diag like that would take under an hour. especially if its a slow day. Shouldnt you be angry if it took longer?

they cant just replace s*** without getting consent. After the initial inspection is done the service advisor goes through the paperwork pointing things of interest and what needs to be checked/replaced/fixed.

My family has run a dealership for the last 32 years, but we don't have a service department so I'm not gonna stick up for any mazda dealer. I have seen horrible things happen to customers, like your dad, and I believe you.

But here is one tip, if you know better than don't go. I think we all know by now that when you go to service department at a dealership you aren't getting no freebies. Thats why belonging to a forum is so advantageous, it saves you guess work, diagnostic time and mistakes= money saved.

Money is a terrible thing to waste. A dealership & the government are THE black holes of money wasting.

No, that wasn't a political pun so ****** spare me that nonsense.............

Last edited:
Dude, tell your dad about autozone please! Tell him to save that money and buy you the OBD-II tool instead! Seriously you can get them for around 50 bucks! They more then likely looked at the code, checked the cap and found out it wasn't on all the way, tightened it, and changed out the bulb. Which is what I would of done.

If they installed that bulb without your dads consent then have him go back and b**** at them for it. I sure would.

Some Auto Zones and Advance Autos stopped reading CEL's. I was looking at a car for a cousin of mine and they said they don't do it anymore when I took the car up there.

meh. [shrug]

If your dad wants to spend the money - don't hate. Just offer to help him (i am sure he has helped you many a time...) and accept gracefully when he doesn't want your help.

Back