had to put the Hater-ration away when I saw this in person at the Tulsa Car Show

It looks fine stood back!

IMG_3114_zpswfbye2qo.jpg

7b271ec298fe294fcf1672e756b7701a.jpg

Sent from my cell phone

I still think overall that Mazda took a step back in design with the 17 CX5. All previous years of it, it was unanimous that that CX5 was a looker when it came to CUVs. Not so unanimous anymore. It's a shame too. They improved so much in the 17 it seems but the exterior just doesn't have the presence that all the other years had.

The original CX-5 is a nice looking vehicle that may appeal to a younger demographic, much like the Nissan Xterra. I think Mazda is expanding the appeal to a broader demographic spectrum and the evolution of the body shows it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how that works as I'm 66 and have had both cx-5 versions, I think the new cx-5 is ok, but doesn't have any appeal to me compared to the one I have.
From a practical view point I hope that pointy nose is plastic, because I can see stone chips being a problem otherwise.

Chrome I thought was now considered dated, so again I'm confused why Mazda have added more on the car.
With the wheels I still prefer the model one type, in fact today I have put them on my car to wear them out before winter so I can fit some all season tyres for winter.

The original CX-5 is a nice looking vehicle that may appeal to a younger demographic, much like the Nissan Xterra. I think Mazda is expanding the appeal to a broader demographic spectrum and the evolution of the body shows it.

I agree to your first point about the CX5 being attractive the younger demographic. I think that just stems from its sporty exterior and when compared to pretty much every other CUV, it's not even close.

As for the 17 CX5, they did everything right except the exterior. That front end, I think they just tried to do too much. Its like sticking out and looks obnoxious. Give me the 16 design with a little subtle tweaks, interior and features of the 17, and that is a perfect CX5 imo.

DESPISE the chrome on the front. TOO MUCH. Although if I did get the 17 I might consider something like this dude did with his 6:

http://imgur.com/W7fMl1I

I was thinking of installing reflective wrap to my Mazda6's chrome grille. Silver color. It would look really mean with my LED halos.

http://www.stickyfingersdesign.com/...YACTIV-D 25 Hours of Thunderhill Racecars.jpg

https://s3.amazonaws.com/fellers/production/tips/172-image.PNG

https://www.3domwraps.com/media/32954/tron-style-vinyl-electric-blue-wrap.jpg

I agree to your first point about the CX5 being attractive the younger demographic. I think that just stems from its sporty exterior and when compared to pretty much every other CUV, it's not even close.

As for the 17 CX5, they did everything right except the exterior. That front end, I think they just tried to do too much. Its like sticking out and looks obnoxious. Give me the 16 design with a little subtle tweaks, interior and features of the 17, and that is a perfect CX5 imo.

I think everyone has their own opinion. Personally, I much prefer the front end of the 2017 to the older version. Much sleeker and aggressive looking.

I think everyone has their own opinion. Personally, I much prefer the front end of the 2017 to the older version. Much sleeker and aggressive looking.

I've had two "old" CX-5s and have the 17 on the way. I like the evolution towards elegance.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

I've had two "old" CX-5s and have the 17 on the way. I like the evolution towards elegance.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk
Increasing chrome around a car does not give it elegance imo. But hey as long as the owner likes it, that's all that matters. I still have to check it out in person and maybe that'll change my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I really need to see it in person but as of now. More aggressive, yeah. Sleeker, eh. But like you said, everyone has an opinion. I'm just glad they're​ really starting to refine the vehicle as a whole.

I really need to see it in person but as of now. More aggressive, yeah. Sleeker, eh. But like you said, everyone has an opinion. I'm just glad they're​ really starting to refine the vehicle as a whole.

Agree, hopefully they can refine it next with a 2.5T! :)

Yes, it's certainly this in person. As my friend with his 2015 said, "Yours looks like it wants to tear mine's face off!"

Piked up a 2017 GT today. IMHO it is soooo much nicer than the 16.5. Test drove the old model last summer and considered pulling the trigger. Ended up postponing because were were also considering doing a European delivery for an X1. Life got busy and we put things the back burner. Then when the 2017 was announced at the LA auto show I got intrigued again. Went a test drove the old and new versions back to back last weekend. The 2017 is so much more refined in every way. Quieter, better dampening of the suspension. While the 16.5 had a lot going for it, it felt too rough. Like an Japanese economy car. the '17 feels much more lie a premium vehicle. I still think the engine is a bit under-powered. But pretty much every car in this class is underpowered. I would have preferred it had another 25 horsepower. But this is the wife's daily not mine and it suits her. Personally I thought the old version was the most attractive car in it's class and then '17 takes that to a whole other level. I think the front fascia is gorgeous.

Personally I thought the old version was the most attractive car in it's class and then '17 takes that to a whole other level. I think the front fascia is gorgeous.

My EXACT thoughts...Here in Japan, I'm seeing a sharp increase in 2017 CX-5 sightings...It almost seems like everyone traded in their previous gen CX-5 for the new one!

My EXACT thoughts...Here in Japan, I'm seeing a sharp increase in 2017 CX-5 sightings...It almost seems like everyone traded in their previous gen CX-5 for the new one!

Yes we did!!! It's a sexy beast in person. The front grill is beautiful! (And I owe you a PM, I believe).

Latest posts

Back