GX FWD - Stock GPS upgrade - is it possible?

MRH

:
2013 CX-5 GX FWD 6 Speed
Hi - looking through the forums to try to see if anyone has installed the upgraded radio/nav player in the GX base model, and got it working.

When I called the dealer, they said it wasn't possible. Have the radio installed, just want to know if it's worth trying to get the GPS installed.

I have the 2013 CX-5 FWD 6-Speed Manual GX.

Thanks! Matt

I put it in my 2013 GT 3 years ago. Got it from the sponsor at top of page-Med Center...

Actually I was looking for the GX model - not the GT. I know the GT works, but no one has really commented about the GX.

Just found out that in Canada, the GX model is the same as the Sport. Does anyone have the Sport working with the stock nav?

I'm in the same boat. I recently "upgraded" from the base radio to the touchscreen radio. The USB and aux jacks in the console both work. I have not tried installing Bluetooth module or the steering wheel controls with the extra buttons for voice command / answer / hang up. My non-Bluetooth steering wheel controls do not work. Do yours work?

The main reason I swapped the radio was to see if I could access the vehicle menu using the setup button, but unfortunately the vehicle menu is not accessible. It shows up as an option, but I'm not able to access it. I'm not sure if adding the Bluetooth module will make it active, but that's my next step. The diagnostics menu in the head unit shows no DTC's and reports no CAN bus errors. The biggest problem with this project seems to be the lack of necessary wiring harnesses in the car. Adding Bluetooth or navigation to a sport model is possible, but it's probably not worth the time or expense to getting it done.

The only reason I'm going through all this is to change my car to unlock all the doors with a single button press. The dealer says it's not possible even though it says it can be changed by the dealer in the owners manual. I might try calling Mazda North America to see if the owners manual is wrong or my dealer is wrong. Reviewing the CX5 service manual, I was thinking that the head unit or Bluetooth module sends a CAN bus message to the RBCM (Rear Body Control Module) for the lighting options or the SSU (Stop Start Unit) for the locking options. Not having the "advanced keyless entry" may play a role also. Is there such a thing as a CX5 w/ touchscreen and no Bluetooth? Is the vehicle menu accessible? I haven't given up yet, but the more I read the more discouraged it get.

Does anyone with an aftermarket head unit have any spare parts I could buy? I'm looking for a Bluetooth module and microphone. Or could anyone provide information on the wiring harnesses for the Bluetooth module? From what I can tell from the service manual, less than half of the pins in the connector are used, I'm counting 11 wires on the big connector. I'm guessing is small grey connector used to pipe Bluetooth audio to the head unit. Anyone care to drop their glove box to confirm? No tools required! Take the opportunity to check your cabin air filter while you are in there, mine was filthy.

Mine had the GPS installed when I got it. It works fine. Steering wheel controls work. Occasionally glitches with not downloading the names, thus not good with voice recognition, but overall pretty good.

Mine had the GPS installed when I got it. It works fine. Steering wheel controls work. Occasionally glitches with not downloading the names, thus not good with voice recognition, but overall pretty good.

Sounds like your car came from the factory with Bluetooth, mine didn't. I have a mute button in place of the voice recognition button and no phone controls on the steering wheel.

I put some time into getting the Vehicle menu activated. I was able to get it working by adding two wires to the main radio wiring harness that are missing on my car due to it coming with the base radio. I have them temporarily connected to the OBD2 port, but I'm eventually going to tap them into the MS CAN Bus in the instrument cluster as they are done from the factory. I'm also looking to install the crimp on sleeve connectors so I can add wires to the factory wire harnesses in a permanent way. I'll probably end up buying a Metro reverse radio harness and removing the pins for installation into the factory harness.

18555435304_4d2444ff95_c.jpg

19172185062_f41e21f55c_c.jpg

18991846199_e0d9dca8e6_c.jpg

I put some time into getting the Vehicle menu activated. I was able to get it working by adding two wires to the main radio wiring harness that are missing on my car due to it coming with the base radio. I have them temporarily connected to the OBD2 port, but I'm eventually going to tap them into the MS CAN Bus in the instrument cluster as they are done from the factory. I'm also looking to install the crimp on sleeve connectors so I can add wires to the factory wire harnesses in a permanent way. I'll probably end up buying a Metro reverse radio harness and removing the pins for installation into the factory harness.

Good job, I'm impressed!

Back