Guide to power steering delete

charliemsp

:
Mazda Mazdaspeed protege 251
I was wondering if anybody has deleted the power steering on the protege mine is a DX 2003 and I how should I exactly go with this am I going to need a new rack or are there ways around it just need a little more guidance on this topic also will I get any performance gain by deleting power steering ???

I did mine. You have to connect the in and out lines together so there is fluid transfer between the 2 sides of the Rack. You can probably find the right fittings to connect 2 rubber hoses, but what I did was cut my high pressure line (in the rubber) and connected it back to the metal line off the rack right where the old return line went on. The hose is a little too small to go over the original flare on that metal line, so I cut that off then used 2 hose clamps. Its been done since august, and I havent seen a single drip.

Why, may I ask, are you doing it? I did it for a couple reasons. 1, my high pressure line was leaking. 2, I track the car all the time and wanted more feel. really helped be smooth on turn in. And 3, I had the engine out and I could get right at it.
On track I find it helpful. On the street, it sucks. Its heavy steering. And I think it would be a major pain to do it with the motor in the way. Just my 2 cent. (well, I guess 5 cents, cause we Mini America people dont have pennys any more)

Back