Guess who wins?!?!?! Racing mazda5, mazda8, Honda Odyssey, & Honda Stream.

When was the last time you saw a Honda commercial touting the racing prowess of their minivans? .....oh, right, never....Yeah.... So.... What?

Every time I see a new thread on this very same video reminds me of why Rondos, Quests, Siennas or Odysseys are not an option for me (yupnope)...

Reality is that it doesn't matter how powerful a car engine is (v6, v8) if its handling sucks :D

ROTFL (drive2)

Last edited:
Damn nice video!! Thx
i just got a mazda 5 about 3 weeks ago and i love it. (drive)

Last edited:
Yeah!

Never thought I'd see footage of a 5 getting flogged so hard! Fantastic! Notice how little understeer it shows? You can easily see some trail braking oversteer on corner entry. Love it.

Great Video

Now I can really drive the s*** out of my 5 and know it will hold the corners....

just great

I by no means got anywhere close to these nuts, but I did just get back from a night twisties drive in the woods. I was just going about my business having fun until I'd catch up to a car, then I'd back off out of courtesy. Well, the one guy sped up so I engaged and we ended up having quite the chase for a few miles. He was faster through the straights but I consistently caught up in the bends. Ha, I almost lost it at one point as I took a turn too hard at the crest of a hill... it was a sharper drop off than I remembered and I slid to the right an inch or two before I regained grip, oops!

Got up to a red light when we exited the woods and I finally was close enough to investigate my buddy. It was a late generation Tiburon with mods. I hope he looked in his rear view under the street light and dropped his jaw when he realized a minivan spanked him through the twisties :D

Last edited:
Minivan d0r1ft00000!!1!!!!one!

I'm actually surprised at how well the 5 rotated, it was the only 1 that was coming around the corners with some decency

Thanks for the video. I haven't seen it before. I don't understand your Honda comment though. Honda never advertised the Odyssey or Stream as track vehicles.

There was no question that the Mazda5 would win this race. The 5 is pretty much a taller Mazda3 with a bit more torque, which is perfect for a track like this. I expected the Stream to fair better, but it's apparent that the Stream has the least power in this group. It was taking the turns a lot faster than the Odyssey but just didn't have enough power to pass. I wonder if Stream has the 1.8L or 2.0L. The 2.0L comes with a CVT which is not good for racing.

a10thunder said:
Thanks for the video. I haven't seen it before. I don't understand your Honda comment though. Honda never advertised the Odyssey or Stream as track vehicles.

Hey a10thunder,

With regards to Honda. I agree with 100% your comments yet I would like to also ponder the following:

1. I have not seen a Stream in the US, but many people compare the MZ5 to the minivan style and functionality of the Siennas or Odysseys, possibly that is why. Now, to certain degree, due to the MZ5 design and main target market, I agree, it is somehow true, but even if the extra money is there to spend, it was a no go for us. Example: no 5MT as an option.
  2. Off the Honda stigma (I have a Honda myself) :D, there was a good conversation sometime ago in this forum about Rondo's V6 "power" compared to the "small" I4 from MZ5. As said earlier, I agree with that any V6 horsepower as long as it is a drag style race (straight line). That could burn the MZ5 heads down. Now, I seriously doubt the Rondos, Siennas or Odysseys can manage the curves the way the MZ5 did (as you say, due to the MZ3 car platform). Also, yes, I acknowledge we didn't buy a full powered sports car when choosing the MZ5 (i.e. MazdaSpeed3, MazdaSpeed6 or an RX-8), but, hey, the 5MT and low-er profile do the power management and handling job much better compared to V6 "minivans" we have driven (including a 2006 Mazda MPV) regardless of the under power. Even wife does not like auto trannys after driving the MPV (sun). 5MT on high-er RPMs is decently powered.

Now, good point, I have not seen any MZ5 advertisement comparing it to a real track car either. All the MZ5 commercials I've seen emphasize it as a people mover, with happy families or chauffeur services kind of thing

Last edited:
Antonio DiMarco said:
I wonder how much of that was staged?
Wasn't staged at all - it just happened like that. The Elise actually was slowed down by traffic, and the 5 was chasing to catch up and ended up blowing by.

FYI, I wasn't involved in this, but am friends with them.

Back