gt3076r runing as of 9-28-07

i am out no more ms6 for me! my car blew so bye bye!

Wow sorry to hear this.... that BIG turbo did alot of good. Remeber what I was sayin a couple weeks ago... Should of built the motor first. Better luck next time.

What the hell happend dog? I hate to say it but all guys out there with the 3076 runnng the s*** out of your car and racing every night are just asking for it....No offense Mike but you seem to do alot of racing in that thing and this aint no rally car....Im really sorry to hear about it.....It kinda makes me wonder if the 3076@18psi is that much more powerful than the 3071@18psi....I mean obviously as far as dyno numbers go there really isnt a hole lota difference....

Last edited:
Should of built the motor first. Better luck next time.

While I think we understand what you mean.....but that's sort of obvious that we would all like a 'built' motor.

But saying he should have built the motor first is somewhat like saying, 'you should have just bought the Z06 instead of the regular vette.'

While I think we understand what you mean.....but that's sort of obvious that we would all like a 'built' motor.

But saying he should have built the motor first is somewhat like saying, 'you should have just bought the Z06 instead of the regular vette.'

Well not to be a dick but if its so obvious why spend $2000 on a turbo kit first without the motor that can handle it? I will tell you why... He want to be the fastest speed6 out there.You said it yourself "obvious we would a like a built motor" THEN GET ONE FIRST, Ken has them for sale. Why has no one got one ... except for the guy who ZOOMZOOMBOOM theres up already".

I think the motor itself can handle it, From what I hear the stock fuel system is not up to the task, I lot a people are blowing motors due to detination and thats a lack of fuel. Maybe we should hold off the BT up grades till someone figures out the fuel system. I saw a previous thread on the upgraded fuel pump, but it sh*t the bed. I have a 07 GTI we are having the same issue with fuel, same set up cam driven pump, and Autotech just released a up graded pump for 400$, maybe they will have on for the speed6 and speed3.. ?? We will see. So sorry Mike that sux, I had a simaily issue with my GST a while back, fully built motor and BT and my buddy did not tighten the oil filter housing on and it fell of at 85 mhp, motor seized, and back to square one. Good luck and it happens..

Well not to be a dick but if its so obvious why spend $2000 on a turbo kit first without the motor that can handle it? I will tell you why... He want to be the fastest speed6 out there.You said it yourself "obvious we would a like a built motor" THEN GET ONE FIRST, Ken has them for sale. Why has no one got one ... except for the guy who ZOOMZOOMBOOM theres up already".

Relax dude, but telling someone to get a motor first is really not helping the guy. It's always easy to say to someone else who pushes the envelope on his car to 'get your motor built.'

Do you have any idea how many people take their budget racers to the track with the understanding that they are teetering on the edge of destruction? That's the difference between people that just by a car to drive because it's fun, and those that want to make them faster.

He was obviously trying to find that line between budget racer and pro street and teetered too far towards pro street.

You're partly right though about having a motor that can handle it, but realistically I don't think many of us have any idea what this motor can safely take, coupled with the problems of DISI, that isn't helping much.

Just because one has a 'built' motor is absolutely no guarantee that you are safe. Who knows, this dude may have had some mechanical failure, pump faulure, and blown a hole in the top of his piston on some serious lack of fuel somewhere?

Same would have happened with a built motor.

Yea I agree with forrestang, no one knows the limits of this motor...it comes with forged rods pistons and crankshaft yet people can still blow the motor with basic bolt ons, the only thing I have never seen anyone talk about is the fuel system...so we need to figure out that aspect of this car and well try again, without blowing motors how do you think the major manufacturers figure out what belongs in these kits that we buy...Mike just did it himself instead of waiting for the companies to figure it out, all the more power to ya (headbang)

so I guess its the new audi now..(lol2)

no that dream is gone man, i am not in the point where i was ready to purchase a car. my money i was going to put down towards the down payment came to the big turbo clutch and ETC so i dont have mutch saved at the moment.

Just because one has a 'built' motor is absolutely no guarantee that you are safe. Who knows, this dude may have had some mechanical failure, pump faulure, and blown a hole in the top of his piston on some serious lack of fuel somewhere?

Same would have happened with a built motor.

the same would not have happened with a built motor. one, the internals in a built motor are much stronger than what mazda puts in these engines stock. two, the compression ratio is a half point lower meaning not only can you run more boost without as much risk of detonation, you make slightly less power and run slightly more rich on the same amount of boost compared to a stock motor because of the compression drop. i have seen people run smaller displacement built motors leaner than lean for a year plus on a larger turbo than the 3076 and still not break a piece inside of it.

no, a built motor is not an insurance policy or license to run a poorly tuned car, but it will handle more abuse - of the good or bad variety - than a stock motor. rods have been snapping and pistons have cracked on these engines, more than one. if you can snap a pauter rod or arias piston under any amount of punishment i will give you a medal. these are not bullet proof bottom ends stock for stock. a "good" AFR is not the only indicator of how safe you are running the engine. if it were simply a matter of having plenty of gas in an engine no one would be building any motor in any car period. materials matter, tolerances matter, charge temperatures matter, volumetric efficiency matters. just having a a rich air fuel ratio isn't a blank check to ignore all of that.

i don't think a built motor is a guarantee. mike hasn't even posted what blew and how, so its almost pointless to pontificate. however its alot smarter to build a building starting with the basement than with the top floor.

there is a hole in the oil pan with a bolt sticking tru it! thats all i know! when the car blew the AF rtio was 11ish 10s so it was rich

Sorry, I wish it were true. Yes, we have a forged crankshaft, but the rest is CAST.

Yea I agree with forrestang, no one knows the limits of this motor...it comes with forged rods pistons and crankshaft yet people can still blow the motor with basic bolt ons, the only thing I have never seen anyone talk about is the fuel system...so we need to figure out that aspect of this car and well try again, without blowing motors how do you think the major manufacturers figure out what belongs in these kits that we buy...Mike just did it himself instead of waiting for the companies to figure it out, all the more power to ya (headbang)

there is a hole in the oil pan with a bolt sticking tru it! thats all i know! when the car blew the AF rtio was 11ish 10s so it was rich

how much boost?
what rpm?
what speed?

if you need a stock motor just to get it back to sellable status let me know i'll help you out. i have a fresh short block just sitting here. whatever your intentions are, i will take care of you.

Tough luck Mike.

But, on the bright side, you can now buy a new BMW 335 twin turbo I6. With the CP-E catback, that thing sounds like a Ferrari.

It is the only car I can see myself replacing the MS6 with.

Good luck with whatever your plans are.

The stock motor comes with forged internals? They don't look too forged compared to the aftermarket ones you can get a hold of. They look pretty flimsy to me :(

however its alot smarter to build a building starting with the basement than with the top floor.

Thats why I've told mike I'm going to make sure the engine internals are reinforced before I spend a dime on getting a gt35r.

and I agree with the AFR.... Some of the people I've known that have blown a motor or 2 were because they were running it a little too lean than their engine could take. I think since I plan to reinforce the engine it'll be a while before I get a gt35r. (nailbyt)

the same would not have happened with a built motor. one, the internals in a built motor are much stronger than what mazda puts in these engines stock. two, the compression ratio is a half point lower meaning not only can you run more boost without as much risk of detonation, you make slightly less power and run slightly more rich on the same amount of boost compared to a stock motor because of the compression drop. i have seen people run smaller displacement built motors leaner than lean for a year plus on a larger turbo than the 3076 and still not break a piece inside of it.

no, a built motor is not an insurance policy or license to run a poorly tuned car, but it will handle more abuse - of the good or bad variety - than a stock motor. rods have been snapping and pistons have cracked on these engines, more than one. if you can snap a pauter rod or arias piston under any amount of punishment i will give you a medal. these are not bullet proof bottom ends stock for stock. a "good" AFR is not the only indicator of how safe you are running the engine. if it were simply a matter of having plenty of gas in an engine no one would be building any motor in any car period. materials matter, tolerances matter, charge temperatures matter, volumetric efficiency matters. just having a a rich air fuel ratio isn't a blank check to ignore all of that.

i don't think a built motor is a guarantee. mike hasn't even posted what blew and how, so its almost pointless to pontificate. however its alot smarter to build a building starting with the basement than with the top floor.

What does this built block go for and is there any value in our stock blocks? Trade-in, core exchange, etc?

good question (thumb)....... can I get some price knocked off the built block for sending in my stock?

Back