Gt28rs requirements

actually the GT3071R spools fast. its dual BB which helps a TON. i find boost comes on earlier than the VF22 i used to have. consider the steed mani and gt30, that way you wont be upgrading AGAIN later. do it right the first time and save the cash for future upgrades.

i would definitely think about an oil cooler and oil pump upgrade from DocB. seems like everyone that pops their motor has to do with oil problems. i can say from experience lol (3 motors and 2 turbos...)

keep us posted on what you come up with and good luck!

Attachments

• intake.jpg
    intake.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 96
actually the GT3071R spools fast. its dual BB which helps a TON. i find boost comes on earlier than the VF22 i used to have. consider the steed mani and gt30, that way you wont be upgrading AGAIN later. do it right the first time and save the cash for future upgrades.

i would definitely think about an oil cooler and oil pump upgrade from DocB. seems like everyone that pops their motor has to do with oil problems. i can say from experience lol (3 motors and 2 turbos...)

keep us posted on what you come up with and good luck!

I keep looking at oil coolers every once and a while when I'm looking at PG website or something, hows the install on that, and everything, and what are the major improvements that you have noticed with that, if I knew a little more about it, I think I would be more interested in it, im surprised that the engine could take the large turbos with all the stories going around about them popping, I guess it really is just because of miss-use of the products/mods

Damn a Gt3071R on stock internals!!?? I would only feel safe running 8 psi on my GT28RS, I guess if you 4-5 PSI on a GT3071R you "should be ok" but what a waste of a great Turbo. I feel like I'm almost wasting my Gt28RS now.

Depends on how hot your oil is getting. You should always run within its designed limits to avoid the oil from breaking down and losing its lubricity properties. But think about what that Turbo is doing to the oil too. When its forced thru the bearings, it comes out like hot puss.

As for boost psi, it doesn't matter if you run 4psi or 12psi. It matters what horsepower output you are achieving. High comp engines can run 8psi and have over 300hp. Just ask Tom (MP3 Racer). Yet at 8.5:1 comp ratio most ppl are @ 16psi to hit 300hp. So what Turbo you have only has to do with what HP level you want to hit. I am pushing 18 psi daily on stock tranny, but its not going to last. I'm sure that's about 350hp give or take. Consider my set up with standalone though.

Before I was able to get forged internals, I ran 12 psi for 10 months with no problems. I pulled out a few extra degrees of timing to play it safe. Ask around and you will hear how common that is.

Maxx said it best about the oil pump mod from mp3 is the heart of the fs.

Damn a Gt3071R on stock internals!!?? I would only feel safe running 8 psi on my GT28RS, I guess if you 4-5 PSI on a GT3071R you "should be ok" but what a waste of a great Turbo. I feel like I'm almost wasting my Gt28RS now.

Don't think about the now with stock internals. Eventually there may be the opportunity to go forged and then what? He will want to go bigger and have to buy another Turbo and Mani and upgrade the intake and exhaust and oil feed....... holy s*** I am having flashbacks LOL. I have been there with all this. I wish I would have bought a BB water cooled Turbo in the first place. It would have saved me thousands, just like if I had put toms oil pump on my car from the start. Cost me thousands to rebuild because of just one weak link in the system.

Staying on subject, its really not about the Turbo. But IMHO, you must do the oil pump upgrade. period. Experience said so.

personally, it makes sense to go to a GT28RS if you dont know whats coming. you can do stock internals, you can go forged and get over 250whp and still be in the efficiency range. the only reason id go bigger than that is if you have a spare block youre building and are trying to blow the stocker, or youre waiting to do a really big build in the future. not everyone wants 350whp cars and the associated transmission issues etc.

How come you have two radiators?

The Mishimoto is for cooling the engine. The other is for the Turbo and soon to be water to air intercooler. My haltech controls the fans at individual temps and the water pump. I am sick of burning up turbos so I did a dedicated cooling system for it.

Back