Grounding Cylinder Head Test Results (2024 CX-5 Turbo)

How do I known it is working? I have a clip on dc amp meter used alot in solar panel installs. I start the engine, turn on the HVAC fan on high and head lights. Normally the ground will show 12 to 14 amps running though it if it's in the proper location.
you mean milliamps, don't you?

you mean milliamps, don't you?
Actually amps.

Amps very with load on the system and rpm. In this video at idle with the HVAC fan on high and head lights on, 22 to 23 amps.

At the end of the video I shot my pass strut tower were a stud is attached but no ground on my 24 T. This would be a good place to land a ground cable too.

My ground has been on several months. I wasn't to interested in documenting this mod at the time. I installed the evening we brought it home from the dealer. Saw the amps above 14 and closed the hood. And forgot about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqwk1prL8uY

Last edited:
Sure, it can be too small but not too big. For the budget minded, a multi strand 4 awg will work just fine. I made my first cables from speaker wire to see if this thing worked.

Nice find on the tech paper. Over in the Ram Gen 3, Cummins, world folks run their trucks until they quit. One of the first things we request, clean your grounds. I added 3 big boy grounds and have large aftermarket battery cables with military style battery connectors. It starts quickly and the ECU is happy. All the grounds and battery connectors are coated with dielectric grease.

Back when I made kits for the Hemi market, I put 2 4 AWG, one on each bank and sometimes another on the throttle body. I was not able to measure any improvement. I had 3 ground cables on our 09 Honda Accord. 2 on the head and another on the TB. I was experimenting with this car and just left them on it. The TB ground "seemed" to improve throttle response but never set a test.

With that said, I have 2 4 AGW on my race V8. We are the quickest in our class but folks continue to chase us and push us to improve. It has over sized battery cables as well. At +8000 RPM we don't want to be short on juice to it's 2500 HP electric fuel pump!

I have been using ground cables for years, starting with my 2004 Toyota Matrix XRS.

Currently using 10ga Monster Cable to the engine grounding point near the throttle body and 8ga to the grounding point near the passenger fender, both originating at the battery negative terminal. Throttle response and gas mileage seem to be better.

Total investment of about $2 and falls into the category of it could not hurt. I do feel it helps a little.

Back