Gripe - knob to select mirrors is backwards

:
2014.5 2.5L Touring /w bose
It was dark and I tried to adjust the side mirrors. Intuitively, clockwise would select right mirror, and counter clockwise would select the left mirror. Since there are no backlights, it was hit or miss. I missed. Its backwards! After turning on the cabin light it was apparent Mazda labeled the knob on the bottom creating the backwardness.

Every car I've owned has been the reverse of CX-5 in this regard. Are you listening Mazda? Probably not.

Last edited:
It is not backwards in terms of the selector just the twisting motion. If you look at the selector marking it is clear that it is on the bottom and needs to be twisted appropriately to select the correct mirror for adjustment.

On my ex VW Golf 5, it was the same as our cars. There it was another center forward position, where it was heating the mirrors.

On one of my cars, I had to, oh horror of horrors, adjust them by HAND by REACHING OUT THE WINDOW!!! And that was after I had to crank the window down BY HAND!!! Ah, the good old days.... (ughdance)

Yes, that's not all that's "backwards'.

Due to previous shoulder injuries I don't use the 10-12 o'clock hand position on the steering wheel - it's more like 5 and 7 o'clock. But Mazda had the "wisdom" to make the steering counter-intuitive when using this hand position. I was more than annoyed when I steered to the right but the car turned LEFT across traffic. It was pure luck no cars were coming.

What was Mazda thinking?

Yes, that's not all that's "backwards'.

Due to previous shoulder injuries I don't use the 10-12 o'clock hand position on the steering wheel - it's more like 5 and 7 o'clock. But Mazda had the "wisdom" to make the steering counter-intuitive when using this hand position. I was more than annoyed when I steered to the right but the car turned LEFT across traffic. It was pure luck no cars were coming.

What was Mazda thinking?

No doubt those injuries are due to falling off of motorcycles. You're getting too old for that stuff.

I had the same thought process about the switch being backwards. I had just bought a 2015, it was dark and I wanted to adjust the mirrors a little. I turned the knob the way I normally would and was getting strange results, including the mirror on the opposite side making protesting noises. It was easy to figure out, but, I have to agree, it wasn't laid out logically.

No doubt those injuries are due to falling off of motorcycles. You're getting too old for that stuff.

No, I have a few motorcycle buddies that are 70-75 years old. They are still living the good life and taking long trips around the American West. Lots of good scenic mountain twisties to be had. I feel sorry for the people in the motorhomes every time I pass one. We would rather LIVE life fully than sit on the sidelines worrying that we might get hurt. Driving a ponderous, gutless motorhome around the country is no way to go to your grave. Motorcycle injury/death statistics are adjusted upwards by people who have been riding for years but never learned real riding skills. Most of us have a lot of track time under our belts. In hundreds of thousands of miles my worst motorcycle injury was a sprained ankle (the deer did not live to see another day). Two weeks ago I was walking on a slippery log, slipped, cracked my sternum. That's life, I'm not going to stop walking on logs because of it.

Now snow skiing is risky. I've broken legs, ribs, dislocated shoulders and bloodied myself up. But it was worth it. I'm not quitting that either. I think I have more fun than most people my age but living life is not a crime and we will all be in the ground sooner than you think. My advice, be competent at what you do, have fun doing it and don't puss out just because you think you're "too old". You may or may not live a long time but at some point you need to ask yourself "am I really living?".

BTW, I've healed from all my ski injuries, the 7 and 5 o'clock steering wheel position was said in jest. I was simply pointing out that left and right on the mirror knob is relative to how you look at it.

Last edited:
Back