Grinding noise? Axle?

ZuZa

Hey mazda lovers. I have problem with my 2002 protege5 and maybe you can give me an idea what it could be. Couple of days ago i noticed that when
i turn righ i can hear, kinda grinding, noise on front of my car.
I though that is becaouse i had winter tires, so i took them off today
and put my summer tires and it does same thing. When i go straingt makes
no noise, when i turn left no noise, only right ... like "ggrrrgrggrrgggrr" sound.
Im assuming its right axle. What do you think guys???

thanks

I would think a bad wheel bearing would be noisy most of the time when the wheel is rolling regardless of the wheel direction. On the other hand, bad CV joints make more noise when turning.

Clifton

While a wheel bear will change sounds while turning, you will always be able to hear it grinding. a grinding sound just while turning is usually a sign of a bad half-shaft

You can check the bearings by jacking up your car and trying to move the wheel on your own. Pull from the top and bottom of the tire, trying to move it towards you. Same deal with the left and right side of the tire. Chock the wheels and put it in neutral and spin the wheel. See if you can hear any noise when you do that.

I had a wheel bearing that was out, I could only tell when driving between 50-55 MPH, it would make a funky resonance in my car. Otherwise it wasnt too shabby. A few months later I had to replace that side CV axle as well.

While its jacked up, check your CV boots, see if any are split or have grease leaking. If so, its probably time to change them.

Does the grinding go away when you are turning right and you step on the brakes?

I was talking to my mechanic about wheel bearings and he said that even if your wheel bearing is bad your tire should not "wiggle". If you can wiggle your tire while it is jacked up you have major problems. But spinning the tire and listening for a grinding noise can't hurt

Latest posts

Back