Green Stuff Pads- HELP

GuntherMP5

Contributor
:
2003 MP5
I ordered some Green Stuff Pads. These are soposed to fit a 2003 MP5. they are
DP21409 - front and DP21700- rear. Well I got the old pads off and changed my rotors becuase they were old and rusty (freaking NJ salt air). The Brembos are the same thickness as the stock rotors but these green stuff pads are like 4 mm too thick. I tried for a freaking long ass time but could not get the caliper with the pads to go over the rotor. Has any one else got Green Stuff pads to go onto a 2003 MP5 and were these the same model # pads. I had to put my stock pads back on and just swap the rotors but I need new pads and dont want to mess up my new rotors any help with this matter would be appreciated , I might just have to get HAWKS if they are a little less thick.

yeah did you remember to compress the piston in and also Green Stuff Pads suck my homeboy had them on his car and lasted him a good 3 months

LOL,
Thats even what my friend said,
YES, of course I compressed the piston on the caliper.Even with everything compressed it was still out by about 4 mm. It was a b**** even getting the pads in because of the thick green enamel on those bastards. Short of putting them on a griding wheel and killing 1/2 of the life, let alone the mess I really dont know what to do and thats not really an option just a statement.

GuntherMP5 said:
LOL,
Thats even what my friend said,
YES, of course I compressed the piston on the caliper.Even with everything compressed it was still out by about 4 mm. It was a b**** even getting the pads in because of the thick green enamel on those bastards. Short of putting them on a griding wheel and killing 1/2 of the life, let alone the mess I really dont know what to do and thats not really an option just a statement.

Are you absolutely SURE you pushed the piston in ALL the way? I've never heard of anyone having this problem before, so that's the only explanation I can think of. Try using a c-clamp and an old pad to squeeze it back as far as possible.
While doing this, take the top off the brake fluid reservoir.

brianmcd said:
Or use a brake piston tool.

I used a brake piston tool. after I removed the front I put it on the back pad and
tightened to get it back all the way. I didnt remove the cap of the brake fluid though. HMMM......... I think I am going to have to go through this ordeal again. That kind of sucks unless its as easy as it was to put the stock ones back on, that was easy but these pad don't even like fitting in the little clips.

Last edited:
do you have any stock pads to compare with? you can take your pads to the dealership, go to their parts dept, and just ask to see the stock pads. they should be ok with that...

since you have a caliper piston compression tool, it sounds like you know what you're doing.

just because you have the tool, it doesn't exactly mean you know what your doing. (boom07) not trying to pick a fight or anything with anybody. (thumb)

but are you most positive you turned the piston ALL the way in? of course it gets a little harder as it goes in, but you almost have to use all the power you have until your most positive it can't go in any more.

But in my personal opinion, the Green Stuff pads suck big time. They pit very very easily and rust overnight....literally. I'd say get another brand or get some OEM ones. Good luck with things.

Last edited:
^^that's a fair argument, just a conclusion i made based on the steps he took.

hawk pads are real nice, should give those a try. noisy as hell, though.

Rob. said:
just because you have the tool, it doesn't exactly mean you know what your doing. (boom07) not trying to pick a fight or anything with anybody. (thumb)
but are you most positive you turned the piston ALL the way in? of course it gets a little harder as it goes in, but you almost have to use all the power you have until your most positive it can't go in any more.
If I knew what I was doing I wouldn't be asking for Help, LOL, " But, Thanks for the Moral Support"

I am going to try to get out of work early tomorrow and try to get it done before tomorrow night.
The tool was just a craftsman one with a small dial that I bought before I decided to do this, and yes this is my first time so its more than possible that I didnt do it correctly. It seems that it most likely wasn't in the whole way back although I though it was, I will get a wrench on that little dial because I had that as tight as I though I could get it. I will also take off the brake fluid cap. I also got a file to trim down some of that green enamal on the side prongs to make them get in a little better. I will keep everyone informed.

Last edited:
lol mebbe u should find a friend who has done this and come over. brakes on many cars are very similar

Well , It most likely wasent in the whole way. I did the rear drivers side becuase I that was the one that seemed to have issues. I would have at least got the back done before it got too dark but my ******* lug key split. Ordered new lugs, not just for the key but I wanted the ones that covered the bolts( although the key definetly had something to do with the brand). After I get them,It should go smoother for the rest.Needless to say, I understand a little better now, Oh, Yes before any comments I did take off the bolt and use the hex key. . I do think that after I get these done, I will just go somewhere and pay what ever to have them donenext time,my time is worth more than the hassle and cost.

Will let everyone know when they are finally, done. Thanks for everyone's help.

Last edited:
GuntherMP5 said:
Well , It most likely wasent in the whole way. I did the rear drivers side becuase I that was the one that seemed to have issues. I would have at least got the back done before it got too dark but my ******* lug key split. Ordered new lugs, not just for the key but I wanted the ones that covered the bolts( although the key definetly had something to do with the brand). After I get them,It should go smoother for the rest.Needless to say, I understand a little better now, Oh, Yes before any comments I did take off the bolt and use the hex key. . I do think that after I get these done, I will just go somewhere and pay what ever to have them donenext time,my time is worth more than the hassle and cost.

Will let everyone know when they are finally, done. Thanks for everyone's help.
i know wat it feels to break a lug nut lock, i broke one when i was rotating the tires

Done

Well do to bad weather, I finally got to finish up this morning. I don't no why I was having so much trouble before. Everything went smoothly. I do think removing the cap off the breaker fluid resevour helped. Either way its done and today when super easy.

I just got my EBC greens on this last weekend, finished up my line replacement to SS, and replaced all the rotors with a set of plain jane Brembos.

No problems here at all.

I do have to say that the rear adjusters for bringing the pistons back in and adjusting for the parking breaks friggin ROCKS! It's the easiest brake job I've ever done!.

Back