GReddy Turbo kit worth the $$$???

jvohs83

Does anyone on here have the GReddy kit installed? Just wondering if its worth the $$$, and I figure someone who owns one would know.

Also, how much HP gain can you get out of the 1.3L with just bolt-on's N/A?

first off do you have the 6speed or the auto.

if you have a 6speed (6port motor) and put EVERY bolt on including a new EMS (engine management system) you are looking at MABEY 25-30whp and 10-15wtq max gain.

the greddy kit is ok, the turbo is a bit small...so you get a quicky spool up (little turbo lag) but the turbo cant make power above 7500rpm. Even so it will still make about 150whp and 130wqt more than stock.

To get those gains (and for saftey/reliability) you would want to run the X-Interceptor EMS since the greddy emanage that comes with the greddy kit is garbage on this car cause the ECU is to smart.

Now if you have an auto...good luck...there is pretty much nothing for them and nearly nothing in the states for them.....you can expect about 10-20hp boost if you do all you can with the auto trany cars.

NA -
Intake - 350
Header - 800
exhaust - 1000
EMS - 1500
Plugs/wires - 225
Flywheel - 250
Light Engine Rotors - 1500
Pulleys - 200
--------------------------
$5825 for MAX 30WHP boost in power

Turbo
Turbo Kit - 3000
EMS - 1500
Flywheel - 250
Pulleys - 200
exhaust - 1000
plugs/wires - 225
------------------------------------
6175 for at least 160WHP mabey more with tuning, ect.

Keep in mind some of the other stuff like the light rotors, ect could give you a bit more power. mabey 2% or so.

If you want more power then the only awnser is FI

sorry, forgot to mention it. yeah I have the 6-spd. I found another turbo kit online today, but I dont remember the website or who makes it. All I remember is that it wasn't made by GReddy, and it said it was a STAGE II Turbo Kit, and was between $6 and $8k if I remember right... Didn't give too much info on it.

its pretty easy to put a bunch of parts in a box that let you bolt a turbo up to the rx8......anyone could do it....

its the RESEARCH that you are paying for....is the turbo sized right for the application, how is the air flow in the header/intercooler setup.

Also how is the fuel/timing controled........

So all together, the GReddy Turbo kit, with the X-interceptor managment, whats the cheapest I could get all this for. I have alot of friends that are really good with car's and such, so I doubt it would cost me anything to install, as long as everythings a bolt on.

jvohs83 said:
So all together, the GReddy Turbo kit, with the X-interceptor managment, whats the cheapest I could get all this for. I have alot of friends that are really good with car's and such, so I doubt it would cost me anything to install, as long as everythings a bolt on.

you can find the greddy kit for right around 3000 + shipping. Look around for the best deal on the kit...lots of shops sell it. The X-Interceptor is only sold by the shop that makes it, Mazsport in Tampa, FL. It is 1500 and that includes a dyno tune of the car (and they are really good about helping you hit your power goals and will work all day on the car if needed). If your not anywhere near tampa, and dont want to drive down there or send your car there for a tune....mabey you can work out a discount with them and just get the unit and have it tuned somewhere else. It runs the Microtech software, so anyone that can tune Microtech should be able to run it.

So parts your looking at 4500+shipping (mabey a little less if you can get some deals made). The greddy kit is pretty complete, for more power and reliability there are a couple changes to the kit that other users have done...but most of that is changing they way vaccume lines are routed, or just installing it differently...not really parts change, so not much extra cost.

The greddy kit doesnt come with a BOV (blow off valve) and you really should get one, so figure that (about 150 for most BOVs) plus having it welded to the IC (intercooler) pipes, figure about $50.

If you can install the kit thats good, save yourself the cash. Its an easy install, most people do it in a weekend with just jackstands and regular tools. The kit is made to bolt up to the stock cat and catback....so you dont have to get an exhaust, although it will help with power....you can add that down the road, since most exhausts for this car are $500-$1200 for the good ones (the JIC all titanium is 3" diameter and would be great for a turbo application).

So all in all to get the kit running, making good power and same as stock reliability :

Greddy Turbo Kit - $3000
X-Interceptor EMS - $1500
BOV - $150
MISC Parts/Work - $100
----------------------------
$4750 + Shipping, Tax, ect.

Down the road you can add spark plugs (colder), plug wires, highflow cat/test pipe, cat back.....ect for more power.

yeah, I'm nowhere near Tampa, FL. I'm up by Chicago actually. And the car already has a GReddy Catback exhaust on it. The only other thing I was thinking of doing was taking the cat completely off, cuz I live in a remotely rural area. about 50k-75k for population with the surrounding towns in about a 15 to 20 mile radius. So the cops dont say much, and they never test. Only ones you hafta watch out for are state. And once I lower it, no fat ass donut eater is gonna smash his mustache on the pavment to try to see whats going on under the car.

But Right now I'm even thinking of gettin a second job so I can afford that kit. The car right now doesn't have nearly enough gutts for me. I bought the car in the rain (bad move) so I thought it had way more kohoneez then it actually does. The car would make a good drifter though.

And I'm waitin to sell my dirtbike so I can cash in on that also. That would pay for the kit, and maybe the blow-off valve and some other small items. I might hold off on the X-interceptor, since I live so far away.

Also, i noticed there was a post on the forum about a RX-8 only doing 13.5 in the quarter wit about 400hp at the crank.

So Please tell me I'd at least be running low 14's with just the bolt-on. Cuz for $5000 I could probobly gut the car and throw a small-block in it. (just junkyard parts though) haha

the car CAN run 14.3@95mph STOCK, totaly stock.......

most people manage a best of about 14.5-14.8 at 90-93mph.......

with ALL the bolt ons, staying NA, even with drag tires you MIGHT be able to get a 14 flat out of the car.....maybe!!!

With the turbo kit you will have a lot more power, but you still wont be able to launch the car very well....if you launch it hard for a good time, you will blow up the trany or rear end.....if you launch it easy your drive train will last longer, but you will run low 13's.

the rx8 is NOT a drag car.......and cant cheaply be made into one......look at how many people are drag racing the rx8...................0

KYLiquid said:
the rx8 is NOT a drag car.......and cant cheaply be made into one......look at how many people are drag racing the rx8...................0
Abel Iberra? (peep)

BradC said:
Abel Iberra? (peep)

Im talking PRODUCTION BASED RX8..........no one is drag racing them, cuase the transmission and rear end will not stand up to drag....so you cant launch the car correctly.....esp not in a profession drag race enviornment.

I would hope that Abel Iberra's RX8 runs a fast 1/4 mile, considering its as far from an 'RX8' as you can get. Its a ****** cosmo engine in a custome tube frame, with a drag tranny and huge slicks......

Even in production class racing (Speed Source RX8, using the stock Renesis and stock 6speed trany/diff) have modifyed the shift forks and the 1-2 gear set for better reliability/durability. They dont do standing starts and only make ~30 more HP than stock Its not to say that these units are crap, but they are made to be used in a GT (Grand Touring) enviornment.

img_mazdaspd_motorsports_profiles01_content01.gif

When the RX8 first came out everyone was pissed about the engine.....then when the first FI solutions came out everyone was pissed at the EMS. Now that there are several 'kits' to go FI, and at least 1 good EMS system the rest of the drive train is the problem.

The Renesis takes very well to boost, holding 14psi and putting out 400hp crank (330whp) with little problems if you have a good tune. The trany and diff seem to hold up ok under almost double the power in 'normal' driving, but not under hard standing launches. Wheel hop and other problems prevent the car from being a 'drag friendly' car.

BradC said:
I knew that...its why I hid behind the wall!

ohhh, lol.....I thought that was an icon for a well...... like saying "pull your head out of your hole every once in a while and look around"

my mistake...lol (drunk)

KYLiquid said:
ohhh, lol.....I thought that was an icon for a well...... like saying "pull your head out of your hole every once in a while and look around"

my mistake...lol (drunk)
lol, all good man! (drinks)

allright if you are a true rotorhead u should know that the best mod u can do is overlap and exhaust,porting and rebuilding even without lighter weight rotors make a big diference

msp2fast said:
allright if you are a true rotorhead u should know that the best mod u can do is overlap and exhaust,porting and rebuilding even without lighter weight rotors make a big diference

there is 0* overlap in the rensis for NA efficency and emissions......the intake and exhaust port area of this motor is larger than any other stock rotary engine mazda ever made. The intake port area is almost as big as a bridge ported turbo FD (13B-REW)

Dont complain that mazda built a bad motor, when it dose exactly what they built it to do!

Back