Got two protege's and only one engine, looking for some input

bidi

:
1999 Mazda Protege
Hi, just seaking some oppinions...

I have a '97 Protege LX that I bought for my sister.
The car is a fixer-upper, has a fried engine.
It's automatic with a 1.5L DOHC.

I myself have a '99 Protege DX that runs fine.
Mine is a 1.6L DOHC with a 5-spd and slipping clutch.

At first I was going to just get another 1.5 and put it in my sisters car, but since my engine is good, but needs a new clutch and it's time for a timing belt... both of which would be easier to do with the engine out of the car, I was thinking of puting the 1.6 in her car, and getting myself either a 1.8 or a 2.0

Either way I have to pull out both engines, and no matter what, still have to buy one engine.

I guess what I really want to know is will the 1.6 out of a '99 bolt up to a '97 transmission, and what about the engine mounts and wire harness. I realize the ignition is different and would probably need to be converted.

pics of the 97. I have extra stuff for it and you are local.

And i have never heard of that swap. Doesn't mean it can't be done, but idk.

honestly not worth going 1.6 to 1.8 or 2.0, you need almost as much as im needing for my klze swap. As for the 1.6 into the 2g, it wont be a direct bolt up, my friend has a 1.5 and the mounts arent the same, shift linkage is different, and probably more.

As for doing the clutch, it is very easy to do the clutch in the 1.6 without pulling the motor. I did mine last summer and took about 4 hours of non-stop working. the hardest part is getting everything out of the way to get the transmission off. If you pursue the clutch job in the car I can help with some tips or letting you know what needs to come off.

Sorry it took so long to get back, life's a bit of a mess...

Looks like I'll be doing the clutch... it's sliping so bad it's not even funny, and I need it for daily driving.

Here a pic of the '97. it looks a lot better in picture than it does in real life :(

3mf3oa3l6ZZZZZZZZZ95nc5077c8916d31e.jpg

it's hard to make out, but there's a nasty dent on the rear doors,
both side view mirrors are held in place by electrical tape,
needs new front turn signals,
passenger side taillight (inner piece),
there's patches of rust here and there,
and obviously the engine is no more.

Back